Question Semi big upgrade to pc, moving everything over concerns

May 23, 2024
Hello, I am upgrading my pc. Currently have an asus z390e mobo, i7 9700k, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and a 2070 super. I am upgrading to a asus z790a mobo, intel i9 14900kf, 32gb ddr5 6400mhz corsair vengeance ram, and will stick with current gpu due to insane prices at the moment lol. I kind of want to start fresh but want to keep my windows that I have currently installed to be used again. I recently bought a new m.2 nvme 2tb ssd and want to move over my os from the old nvme that I put the os on when first building the computer, how would I go about doing that? The nvme is installed and works. I want to mostly clear all software, downloads, games and things like that and was wondering if there is any downside for basically formatting the disks clean? I have 2 1tb ssd a 500gb nvme and the new 2tb nvme ssd. Also im currently using a 750w psu and dont want to upgrade unless its a must.

also, is 6400mhz ram compatible/good with the i9? And since I bought a windows key, can i do a fresh install and use the same key if thats possible? really the only reason I want to move over to a new nvme is so i dont have to buy a key again

Any advice and suggestions is really appreciated!

Last edited:
kind of want to start fresh but want to keep my windows that I have currently installed to be used again
anytime changing the motherboard a fresh OS installation is required.
is any downside for basically formatting the disks clean?
just make sure any important files are backed up to a separate location.

any games installed that don't use cloud services for save content will also need to have their user data backed up and replaced after a new install.

Hello, I am upgrading my pc. Currently have an asus z390e mobo, i7 9700k, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and a 2070 super. I am upgrading to a asus z790a mobo, intel i9 14900kf, 32gb ddr5 6400mhz corsair vengeance ram, and will stick with current gpu due to insane prices at the moment lol. I kind of want to start fresh but want to keep my windows that I have currently installed to be used again. I recently bought a new m.2 nvme 2tb ssd and want to move over my os from the old nvme that I put the os on when first building the computer, how would I go about doing that? The nvme is installed and works. I want to mostly clear all software, downloads, games and things like that and was wondering if there is any downside for basically formatting the disks clean? I have 2 1tb ssd a 500gb nvme and the new 2tb nvme ssd. Also im currently using a 750w psu and dont want to upgrade unless its a must.

also, is 6400mhz ram compatible/good with the i9? And since I bought a windows key, can i do a fresh install and use the same key if thats possible? really the only reason I want to move over to a new nvme is so i dont have to buy a key again

What will be primary uses of your new PC?

USAFRet

Titan
I kind of want to start fresh but want to keep my windows that I have currently installed to be used again.
Trying this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely.
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

We'd ALL like it to 'just work'. But that is unlikely. And the greater the difference in hardware, the less likely it is to work.

As painful as it is....clean install in the new hardware.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024

It's wise to stick with the 2070S. Pick one of the new GPUs from Intel, AMD or nvidia that will be coming out late 24 and early 25.

Don't move the OS. The hardware is different. It will cause too many problems. Just install Windows on the new NVMe and use the same license, or new if you already bought it?

If your PSU is old, you will have a bad time.
Since you're going to be buying a new GPU, and you have a i9, look at trusted reviews of 1000w PSUs, and buy the best one.
You're not going to cheap out on a PSU.

You can use the license on the new computer unless it is an OEM license. Those are tied to a PC and cannot be reused. Never buy those. My advice is buy a digital download license (if you must), and create your own USB installer using Microsofts Windows ISO and a utility called Rufus. It's more reliable than USB sticks that are bundled with retail licenses.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, starting fresh *means* a full wipe, including the OS. Windows *tries* to work when people cut corners and slap their old OS drive into a new PC, but the best approach is to do it correctly in the first place. This is the only part of starting fresh that actually matters; there's no real compelling reason to wipe a drive full of, say Steam games.