Question 5500 XT or GTX 1650 for old PC?

Oct 3, 2024
Hi guys! I need your advice. I know it looks like an obvious question, but for me the answer isn't such. I have an old PC, which I bought as an after-lease one. It is an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 which following configuration:
  • HP 18E4 mobo
  • Intel Core i5-4570 CPU
  • GeForce GT 1030 GPU
  • 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Now i have that PC for simple task, watching YT and playing old games. Now I would like to spend just a little bit of money to upgrade the GPU to play games, which I wanted to play some time ago but didn't had time, especially Witcher 2, then Witcher 3, Dragon Age II, Dragon Age Inquisition, now maybe Age of Empires III DE, Total War series from Napoleon to Shogun and Rome 2 etc. + games like Warzone 2, Apex Legends maybe. For more recent titles and for a main gaming mashine I want to buy a PS5.

Now - I want to spend around 80$ for an used GPU, which will help me to play games fine (older games as Witcher 2 maxed out in 1080p). And in this price range here in my country I can buy cards like RX 5500 XT, GTX 1650 GDDR6, RX 580, GTX 1060. For pure perfomance I think both Radeons are the winners. BUT... well, the rest of the PC is pretty old and not gaming-tier. So the CPU will be a bottleneck. That's why I think maily about the first 2 cards. Powerful enough, very efficent, especially GeForce. Like a sweet spots for that config.
And here is my dilemma. 5500 XT seems to be a pure winner. Same money, more performance - easy choice over regular 1650. But I've read some topics which say that Radeons can have problems with old DX11 or even older games, that for this old CPU GeForce is better, less overhead, that AMD drivers are bad, that in general NVIDIA cards are better for other tasks not related with GPU. So my point is - looking at this config, what do you think? Is it really a truth? I want to have a seamless experience. Will my PC use the potential of RX 5500 over the GTX 1650? Or will they perform at the same level? If so, is this Turing card better suited for old games and won't suck in Warzone 2.0 also?

Would be grateful for your advices!