Question 5600G 'ready' out of the box?

Jul 22, 2022
Is the 5600G 'ready to go' out of the box? I don't plan on overclocking, but I just want to make sure that there isn't a quick setting that I need to change in the BIOS somewhere to get the best performance out of it at stock speeds.

(Note i've already changed the XMP profile for my RAM)

Jul 22, 2022
Basically I just want to make sure the cpu is optimised (without overclocking). If the optimal setting is to just leave everything as default/auto in the BIOS (or elsewhere) then that's fine, but I've been reading about perhaps increasing vram, turning on resizable bar etc., so wondering if I should be changing something. As for my specs

CPU: 5600G
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B550-f Gaming Wifi (latest available bios)
RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022
I'll just be running the integrated graphics for now, still finding the mid-range graphics cards too expensive for my liking, so waiting for a price drop which may or may not happen.

Graphics card prices are already, for the most part, below MSRP. It's unlikely we're ever going to see it drop below where it is now again. Forthcoming 4090 are supposed to be like 1600-1800 dollars out of the gate, and that's with mining dead and the expectation that there will not be shortages. Mid range cards are probably going to be in the 600-800 dollar range instead of the 300-400 range like they used to be. I think that is just how things are going to be going forward.

Are you using the stock CPU cooler?

Jul 22, 2022
Just replaced the cooler this week with a Noctua NH-U12A. I realise it's a bit overkill when I don't plan on overclocking, but the stock cooler had an annoying buzz when at low rpms, and I just really like noctua products.

So basically just want to know if I should be turning on resizable bar, increasing the vram, or changing any other settings to get the best out of the 5600G?

Just replaced the cooler this week with a Noctua NH-U12A. I realise it's a bit overkill when I don't plan on overclocking, but the stock cooler had an annoying buzz when at low rpms, and I just really like noctua products.

So basically just want to know if I should be turning on resizable bar, increasing the vram, or changing any other settings to get the best out of the 5600G?
In terms of graphic performance with the 5600g iGPU, faster ram would have helped more than trying to tune the iGPU. Ryzen loves fast ram, this is because of the Infinity Fabric. Getting 3600mhz would possibly give you a 5-10% boost in gaming, but this depends on the game. You will still be playing on low-med res with low to med in game settings.

In terms of the IGPU performance, the only thing that really affects it is how fast the memory is, as mentioned. You could add more VRAM if you want, but that only matters depending on certain settings in the game.

So, since you have a good cooler here is what I'd recommend. Others may have additional or different recommendations.

First, set the optimal defaults.

Then I'd check to see that PBO is enabled.

Make sure you have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed and that your Windows power plan is set to AMD balanced.

Beyond that, there are plenty of "tweaks" that can be done to any platform it's simply a question of how far you want to go down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: ricster2000
Jul 22, 2022
Besides all said above; 5600G lacks PCI-e4.0 so the Samsung 980 Pro is running half speed.
Oh yes I realise that, the 5600G was supposed to be a stop gap solution until GPU prices came down to what I deem a reasonable level (at which point i would have probably upgraded the processor as well), but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.