Question 5600x DOA?

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Everyone, just a quick question. I bought a ryzen 5600x and a gigabyte B550 pro ac on prime day. Just did the mobo swap last night when I tried to boot up I kept getting no post and the CPU light just on.

I did the standard procedures by reseeding the RAM, check connections and so on and no dice. So I slotted my old Ryzen 1600x and poster just fine. I then went and successfully updated the bios to the latest firmware and reslotted the 5600x and same error, just the red cpu led with no post.

I assume this is just a DOA ryzen 5600x I just wanted to get a second opinion before I return this thing.

TLDR:
Bought new gigabyte mobo and 5600x. Mobo swapped, updated bois to latest firmware getting no post on 5600x when I swap to old CPU everything posts just fine. Mobo cpu led bright red. Dead CPU?

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Try doing a bios update again, but via the Q flash button, and be sure it is the correct bios. If it still doesn't work, it very well may be a dead CPU.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AC-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
QFlash method was not working when I tried it with the 5600x installed. When I would click the Q Flash button it would power on the PC and q flash would flash for about a minute and then just stop. So I installed the 1600x back in and installed the bios update manually.
I could try Q flash with the 1600x installed

logainofhades

Titan
Q-Flash doesn't require a CPU at all. Not sure how you are getting a 1600x to work in that board, as B550 doesn't support Zen or Zen+.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...atures.pdf?v=fbcc1712de6386973f9deb10ece761cf

B. Using Q-Flash Plus Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the QFLED will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.
• Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state).
• If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings. (Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch: Dual BIOS)
• After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS™ will continue to update the backup BIOS. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot from the main BIOS.
• Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion.

Reactions: Viralology