[SOLVED] 5600x Outperforming 5900X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Good morning all,

I just installed a Ryzen 9 5900X in my system and ran TimeSpy. As you can probably expect, I forgot to update my BIOS with XMP profiles and all that, so my performance was lackluster, with my previous stock settings 5600X beating the 5900X by 8.9% in overall performance.

So I went back into the BIOS and enabled XMP profiles and also enabled above Gen 4 encoding and Resizable BAR support. Since previously, my 3600mhz RAM was limited to 2400mhz, I figured I'd see a pretty good performance bump.

Now the 5600X only beats the 5900X by 0.6%. What is going on? My GPU is achieving average results with the preset Wattman/Adrenaline undervolt, and I have PBO enabled through Ryzen Master. By any sane standard, this chip should outperform the 5600X out of the box. And the 5600X at stock settings wasn't beating any records, either.

Am I missing some huge performance booster or technique? Is my PSU starving the system somehow? All advice welcomed.

Specs:
Ryzen 9 5900X
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT (Reference)
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
NZXT Kraken X72 360mm AIO (CPU)
16GB T-Force Extreem 3600mhz CL14
Corsair RM750x PSU
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD (Boot)
SD Black SN720 1TB NVMe SSD (Storage)
3x 1TB SATA SSD's (Storage)
Windows 10 64bit Home
AMD Adrenaline v21.3.1

Solution
Thanks for the response - understanding that the 5900X is not intended to be a gaming CPU, I'm interested in why my CPU's score is bottom 5th percentile in the test, all other things held constant? Other users with the same CPU-GPU config are achieving much higher performance in this same test.

Yeah there's something wrong there.
Boost clock looks fine, cpu score isn't, it's way down and should be around 13000.

It looks like your 5900x is acting pretty much as a 5600x, those extra cores and threads don't appear to be being used.
Single/dual rank is a memory type -the way how RAM stick is made (a hardware thing). Single/Dual channel is the way how RAM sticks are used in your motherboard.
While single/dual channel does make quite a difference in real use, single/double rank difference is more "academic" -one can see difference in benchmarks, but it won't make much difference in real use. Of course, if price is very close, one should pick dual rank. Btw. CPU-Z will show if it's single or dual rank RAM.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Single/dual rank is a memory type -the way how RAM stick is made (a hardware thing). Single/Dual channel is the way how RAM sticks are used in your motherboard.
While single/dual channel does make quite a difference in real use, single/double rank difference is more "academic" -one can see difference in benchmarks, but it won't make much difference in real use. Of course, if price is very close, one should pick dual rank. Btw. CPU-Z will show if it's single or dual rank RAM.
I was doing some reading after my post. Ill have to look to see what I have
Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600 CL8 is all I know without looking it up

EDIT
Its dual rank

Last edited:

jtk2515

Distinguished
So my Mini ITX B550I with? 2 slots is handicapper from he start?

You can still get quad rank with 2x(Dual rank16gb stick), But you would have to look at the benchmarks to see if it is worth it to you. Looks good in synthetic benchmarks. In real world performance like games mostly 1-3%

It works because even though you only have one channel and the total speed does not change the CPU can now fetch from two different addresses in two memory modules.
At least that's what I can remember. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman999

jtk2515

Distinguished
Sorry to say, but memory is either dual or single rank. you wrote "quad rank". That does not exist.
If you mean quad-channel, this only is possible on threadripper-platforms, not on AM4-Ryzen-platform ( or possible on some XEON-intel-platforms,too). The new threadripper-pro even supports 8 channels.

I use the term Quad Rank so if their is a more technically correct term for it tell me and I will start using that. Maybe I should start saying 2x(dual rank per channel).

Last edited:

jtk2515

Distinguished
As axelbirdie said, "quad rank" doesn't exist, so there's no correct term for it. When you say "quad rank", maybe you have something different in mind.. only you can know what that is.

Quad rank just means 4 ranks. Now you can say I should of included how many ranks per channel or that what I said was not technically correct, but Their is single, Dual and quad rank.

So yes I misspoke before and am sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah there's something wrong there.
Boost clock looks fine, cpu score isn't, it's way down and should be around 13000.

It looks like your 5900x is acting pretty much as a 5600x, those extra cores and threads don't appear to be being used.
Probably didn’t reinstall the chipset drivers

Quad rank just means 4 ranks. Now you can say I should of included how many ranks per channel or that what I said was not technically correct, but Their is single, Dual and quad rank.

So yes I misspoke before and am sorry for any confusion.
There is single, dual and quad CHANNEL, RANK there is no such thing as quad (no, 2x 2 ranks is not quad rank, is only dual rank even if you have 2 sticks with dual rank) rank exist only single or dual PERIOD. Stop inventing terms.

jtk2515

Distinguished
There is single, dual and quad CHANNEL, RANK there is no such thing as quad (no, 2x 2 ranks is not quad rank, is only dual rank even if you have 2 sticks with dual rank) rank exist only single or dual PERIOD. Stop inventing terms.

I don't understand the hostility.

"A quad-rank DIMM is, effectively, two dual-rank DIMMs on the same module. Only one rank is accessible at a time. ... For example, if current DRAM technology supports 8-GB single-rank DIMMs, a dual-rank DIMM would be 16 GB, and a quad-rank DIMM would be 32 GB. "

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/DL380pGen8/setup_install/advanced/Content/138678.htm

"An module that has twice as many x8 chips becomes quad-ranked (36 x 8 = 288, 288/72 = 4). "

"Having a dual- or quad-ranked module is like having two or four DRAM modules combined onto one module. "

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/what-is-a-memory-rank

As I already said above I should of been more specific by either saying Dual rank per channel in dual channel mode. Also even if your channel can only address 2 ranks the memory itself is still however many ranks it is. So you would want 4x(Rank 1 modules) or 2x(Rank 2 modules) and populate 2 ranks in each channel. When you buy your Memory kit it needs to equal up to 4 ranks .

Last edited:
If we take a look at the system as a whole and using Wikipedia's definition of a memory rank: "A memory rank is a set of DRAM chips connected to the same chip select, which are therefore accessed simultaneously ", here's some conjecture given the following:
  • Dual channel memory controllers in four-slot systems basically have two slots wired up to one channel
  • While you can send commands to two slots at the same time, you obviously don't want both slots to respond as the signal will basically be garbage as two things fight to talk on the same line. So there needs to be a way to tell the other module to not respond to a command.
  • According to the DDR4 DIMM pinout (provided by this datasheet from Micron, but it's a standard so it's the same everywhere else), there's a number of chip select lines (pins 84, 89, 93, and 237)
Even though the chip select lines are normally intended to access a rank of memory in the memory module, one of them should always be in use anyway even if there's only one rank on the module. So to allow a memory channel to be wired up to more than one slot, the memory controller can repurpose the chip select lines to access which RAM slot it's addressing. So you could have something like CS0 and CS1 tied to CS0 and CS1 in one slot and CS2 and CS3 attached to CS0 and CS1 in the other.

This is also probably why in systems with many DIMM slots (like the 2019 Mac Pro) have a specific slot population order.

Since all CS pins could be used per memory channel, the system as a whole technically could be considered "quad rank" if both slots are populated with dual rank modules.

Last edited:
So my Mini ITX B550I with? 2 slots is handicapper from he start?
4x8GB single rank = 2x16GB dual rank. The performance gain is when you use 2x8GB single rank vs 4x8GB single rank.

GN recommended 2x16GB dual rank and it's easier to get the timings etc when you're using 2 sticks against 4 sticks.
This! Be sure to have dual rank sticks and if you have it is enough 2 sticks to have full performance.