Oct 11, 2021
so I built my pc a couple months ago and I never really payed attention to the cpu temps

... until I realized it was idling at 60-70c, which I know for a fact is not normal

I have checked and reseated the stock cpu cooler, but to no avail

if anybody has any ideas on what could be causing this, whether it is just the stock cooler or some weird bios config
answers would be very helpful

(btw this will hopefully be temporary because I'm getting a U12S shipped soon and I already have some kryonaut)

Solution
Hey there,

Mostly it's to do with it being stock cooler. They just about do enough for the most part. With that said temps are a little on the high side even for stock.

Can you list the rest of your PC specs. Including case, psu.

The Noctua fan will defo help, as will the Kryo. Both superb at what they do.

It could be down to the paste your currently using (if it's not the Kryo), how it's applied, and if the cooler is seated correctly. I'd just wait for the Noctua/Kryo, redo, and report back.

Do let us know how you get on
Hey there,

Mostly it's to do with it being stock cooler. They just about do enough for the most part. With that said temps are a little on the high side even for stock.

It could be down to the paste your currently using (if it's not the Kryo), how it's applied, and if the cooler is seated correctly. I'd just wait for the Noctua/Kryo, redo, and report back.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Oct 11, 2021
Hey there,

alr here are the specs:

case: lian li 205 mesh
ram: g.skill ripjaws v 16gb (3600/CL16)
gpu: aorus master 3070 (rev. 1.5)
psu: corsair rm 750

btw the case is loaded up with 4 noctua a14s already (2 intake on the side/ 2 outtake on the top | i will also be getting an a12 in the future for the back side of the case)

im using the stock thermal paste with the cooler

also i didnt mention this before but i am getting 80c with just roblox open (to be fair though i have it on max settings)

That's what i was hoping for. You've a decent setup with case and fans, should be lots of good airflow, although having the fan at the back as an exhaust will help too. Temps are a bit too high though.

Even at 80c your CPU should run fine. I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just wait for the cooler upgrade, and see how it pans out.

The GPU looks like it has a shroud, so is prob venting heat at rear? Or is it going into the case?

Oct 11, 2021
That's what i was hoping for. You've a decent setup with case and fans, should be lots of good airflow, although having the fan at the back as an exhaust will help too. Temps are a bit too high though.

Even at 80c your CPU should run fine. I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just wait for the cooler upgrade, and see how it pans out.

The GPU looks like it has a shroud, so is prob venting heat at rear? Or is it going into the case?
I don't know what you mean by what you asked but I think a picture may show you the answer you want
9nOxdPA.jpg

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
That pc is begging for a better cooler. It's obvious you don't shy away from doing research and compatently picking parts. Cpu cooler is the icing on the cake... If you want to see if case cooling is a partial issue run it with the side panel removed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen are not Intel. With Intel, voltages and clocks are lowered on all cores, but all cores remain active at idle. The temp you see will be the hottest running core at the moment of polling. Any load will be split between the cores as the cpu requires. Ryzen are different.

With Ryzens at idle, voltages and clock speeds are dropped on all cores, but only the favored core remains active. The rest are put to sleep. That means any and all background tasks and services get lumped on just 1 core. Also means you'll see very high idle temps with all that concentrated load, and depending on polling times, 60+ isn't uncommon. But thats a single core temp, not representative of the entire cpu.

Intel sees its 5% idle loads split on all cores, Ryzen gets the 5% lumped on 1 core. Depending on the cpu, the voltages it's running for that core, the boost amount etc you'll generally see Ryzen running @ 20°C above ambient, with spikes nearer 40-50°C above ambient.

Use HWInfo for temps, it's just as accurate for Ryzen as Ryzen Master, the difference is RM averages polls taken over 3 seconds whereas HWInfo can show polls as low as 500ms, without averaging. You'll also see All the core temps, not just hottest (only) core running.

Also check your startup and services, see what's actually running, and what doesn't need to. There's many programs that have High usage in background that honestly do nothing, if they are even used.

Windows Major updates are famous for turning stuff on, that you may previously have disabled as it'll reset all settings to Windows default.

Oct 11, 2021
Move your top front fan the the back of the case blowing out. As you have the two front fans blowing in and the top front fan is sucking some of the air out before it even gets to the parts
Quick question but when I install the A12 in the rear should it be intake or out?

I can't do your suggestion because the rear only fits 120mm fans

Did you ever installed the chipset drivers from AMD site? https://www.amd.com/en/support. If not do it, once you are done it should ask you to restart the PC. When you are back in Windows go to power options (Win+R, write down "powercfg.cpl" + Enter key) select and use the AMD Ryzen Balanced plan and see if that helps.

As someone mention already, use hwinfo 64 portable - "sensors only" option (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/).

Oct 11, 2021
Did you ever installed the chipset drivers from AMD site? https://www.amd.com/en/support. If not do it, once you are done it should ask you to restart the PC. When you are back in Windows go to power options (Win+R, write down "powercfg.cpl" + Enter key) select and use the AMD Ryzen Balanced plan and see if that helps.

As someone mention already, use hwinfo 64 portable - "sensors only" option (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/).
I have not done that yet. Will this affect my performance?

Oct 11, 2021
Then your stock cooler was not well mounted, the U12S is a very good cooler but is doesn't have any special magic lol
I feel kinda embarrassed to say this but when I was installing the U12S, I realized that I had installed the stock cooler directly into the backplate, without the retention module.

I had the retention module laying around in my motherboard box the entire time.

I feel extremely stupid.
k6GiNT2.jpg

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I feel kinda embarrassed to say this but when I was installing the U12S, I realized that I had installed the stock cooler directly into the backplate, without the retention module.

I feel extremely stupid.

Don't be! some AMD stock coolers (usually the smaller ones like the the wraith stealth/spire) are mounted without the motherboard backplate, using srping screws.

Perhaps one of the screws was not tight enough and/or it was a poor air-flow issue inside the case, but it sounds to me that around 24°C less is a lot of a decrease even for a Noctua U12S.

Edit: I meant to say retention modules.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
Don't be! some AMD stock coolers (usually the smaller ones like the the wraith stealth/spire) are mounted without the motherboard backplate, using srping screws.

Perhaps one of the screws was not tight enough and/or it was a poor air-flow issue inside the case, but it sounds to me that around 24°C less is a lot of a decrease even for a Noctua U12S.
Probably just poor airflow because a couple days ago I re-tightened the screws but the temps stayed the same
the A12 I added to the back probably helped that though

Either way thanks for the help

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't feel bad. Nor stupid. The old stock cooler only mounts in one way, it's either retention bracket type or screw in, it won't be both. Even aftermarket (anything remotely competent) will have different brackets for amd/Intel, so will be retention or screw. You didn't forget about the brackets at all, if you had, and had a need for them, the cooler wouldn't have mounted. 👍

I feel extremely stupid.
k6GiNT2.jpg

Agree with the others here mate. Don't be beating yourself up about it. I can tell you straight off I've done worse and had some laughable moments at my own stupidity. The good thing is, this is how we learn. The good thing about this forum is, for the most part it's non judgmental. It mostly folks who want to learn more about tech, some who are experts, and all manor of sorts in between we share and we learn off of each other. It's a great community.

Glad your new U12 is working out great. That at the end of the day is all that matters, and you have your problem solved.

Good luck and happy gaming.

TRENDING THREADS