Question 5700 bricked?

Nov 16, 2021
So basically throughout late last month, my MSI 5700 which I've had for basically 2 years has suddenly started to crash whenever I try to launch GPU intensive games like Apex Legends or Halo infinite. I attempted to set a max fps as low as 30 in those games and undervolted my GPU but to no avail. Both monitors I have then lose connection while PC remains on until I manually go and restart it. Weirdly, the GPU drivers upon restarting claim they're not suitable for the graphics driver [card?] I have. I've used DDU to uninstall and re-install drivers but no difference.

This only happens in graphically intensive games, while in games like league or old ROM's i can usually hold either 60 or 144fps and have no issue. Talking to a friend, they told me that maybe a certain component is broken and I can only push the GPU to a certain extent before it crashes. Upon reading some online forums, I've heard flashing the GPU BIOS can maybe used to fix the card, and i was wondering if anyone else has had a issue similar to this and what their solution may be ?

Specs:
GPU - MSI RX 5700 8GB Graphics Card
CPU: 3700X
Motherboard: AMD B350M M-ATX
SSD: 500GB
RAM: G. Skill 3200mhz - 2 8GB sticks
PSU - 700w

since i got this as a premade , the computer came with a AYWUN A1-7000, a ATX 700W, which is the same age as the PC ( 2 years old).
That's a PSU that I could not find any review about it, does not have online a photo of the rails (at least in my search I couldn't find one) and has only 1x 6pin connector which makes it exceptionally bad if you wish to believe the 700w claim.

Any proper 700w PSU has at least 2x 8pin. That's bare minimum. If I am not mistaken the RX 5700 uses 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin although variations of 2x 8pin or maybe 1x8 pin only, may exist. That makes me believe that whoever build this PC used adapters for the proper connections needed by the PSU. That makes things even worse. Every component inside is at risk with that PSU and the GPU even more with the use of adapters.

You should contact the shop you bought it from and claim the warranty if still exists. Ask them to upgrade the PSU to at least have the proper connections without the use of adapters.

Nov 16, 2021
That's a PSU that I could not find any review about it, does not have online a photo of the rails (at least in my search I couldn't find one) and has only 1x 6pin connector which makes it exceptionally bad if you wish to believe the 700w claim.

Any proper 700w PSU has at least 2x 8pin. That's bare minimum. If I am not mistaken the RX 5700 uses 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin although variations of 2x 8pin or maybe 1x8 pin only, may exist. That makes me believe that whoever build this PC used adapters for the proper connections needed by the PSU. That makes things even worse. Every component inside is at risk with that PSU and the GPU even more with the use of adapters.

You should contact the shop you bought it from and claim the warranty if still exists. Ask them to upgrade the PSU to at least have the proper connections without the use of adapters.
Thank you for your in-depth response, Ive contacted the shop, but in case the warranty is outdated, would changing the PSU myself mean I can use the GPU to its previous potential or do the symptoms I stated beforehand mean that's it's already been damaged/affected in some way
( I apologise beforehand if the statement above seemed idiotic, my knowledge regarding computers is still lacking )

Thank you for your in-depth response, Ive contacted the shop, but in case the warranty is outdated, would changing the PSU myself mean I can use the GPU to its previous potential or do the symptoms I stated beforehand mean that's it's already been damaged/affected in some way
( I apologise beforehand if the statement above seemed idiotic, my knowledge regarding computers is still lacking )
The GPU could have already been damaged, but most likely just needs more power for sustained high load gaming and causes issues. I would get a quality PSU to test. With that system II would get no less than a really good 550w PSU. What country are you in? We can help find you a decently priced PSU to test.

Thank you, I live in Australia, and I was looking at the EVGA range for PSUs, any specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Depending on how much you want to spend and the wattage you are trying to hit this list is from cheapest to most expensive in your region.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ea750g-pro
for an EVGA specific PSU I would grab this one but it is expensive compared to the others.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinilad
Nov 16, 2021
Probably better than what you have but still not great. It would be like changing from your 2/5 rating PSU to a 2.5 or 3 / 5 rating PSU.
Hey there, so after some Cyber Monday searching I found this https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/power-supplies/atx/72040-ea750g-pro , but after reading some online forums , I heard that the quality depended on the origin of where it was made and was wondering if that's still the case of it was only upon release
Kind regards
Martini