Question 5700xt crashes with multiple monitors

Dec 7, 2019
I have a newly purchased sapphire 5700xt nitro and it is constantly crashing / having hard lockups and reboots when I hookup monitors in the following configuration:

HP LP3065 2560 x 1600 dvi - active dvi to displayport adapter.
Samsung 204t (x2) 1600 x 1200 in portrait dvi - dvi to hdmi adapter.

I am running 19.9.2 drivers and I have turned off VSR and vertical refresh. the option to turn off freesync looks to be greyed out as the monitors do not support it. I do not have eyefinity enabled.

when I have just the HP on the display port or the HP and a single samsung plugged in I do not experience crashing.

the rest of my system is as follows:

intel 4770k @stock.
asus z87a.
32gb ram @stock.
750w corsair hx

I am upgrading from a sapphire r290x which preformed flawlessly with these monitors. I did perform a clean wipe with DDU before installing the new drivers.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is that Corsair HX750W PSU of yours? Which OS are you working with? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Maybe try and change the cables that are hooking up to your monitor.

Dec 7, 2019
windows 10 pro 64bit
bios 1007 x 64 has a build data of 2013 which looks to be the latest on their site
dont remember exactly how old the psu us but im guess 2013 as well.

i have tried other combinations of monitors / cables and the result is the same. when all 3 are plugged in it crashes randomly. the only this I haven't tried is hooking up the HP LP3065 to hdmi as I cannot find an hdmi to dvi adapter that will let me use the monitors full resolution. so far every adapter ive tried locks the screen to 1280 x 800. even hdmi to dvi adapters that are dual link and say they support 4k.

crashes happen at idle as well as under load. I do not think its a psu issue because with 2 monitors under full load i am stable. and 3 monitors on the 290x i am stable. i seriously doubt a 5700xt with 3 monitors at idle uses more power than it does at full load with 2 monitors.

Dec 7, 2019
Could a bad active display port to dvi adapter give the kind of behavior I am seeing? i am running a test right now and so far it is stable.
i have disconnected the hp 3065 and connected 2 lenovo l2440p (1920 x 1200) dvi to hdmi and re connected the samsung 204ts on regular display port to dvi adapters.

so far no crashes. I have run a couple benchmarks and stress tests to see what happens but so far so good.

unfortunately i only have 1 of the active dvi to display port adapters so I cant test out apples to apples. im inclined to replace it but I do not know if the instability would be due to a faulty adapter or if it is just trying to push too much data through it. Would it make more sense to buy a replacement monitor. dell 3011s and 3014ts are relatively cheap on ebay and they come with dvi and display ports on them.

I have attached a screenshot of the display settings and the monitor setup. Normally the 2 lenovos are attached to a different computer. the HP 30in is in the middle.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS