Question 5700xt crashes with multiple monitors

Dec 7, 2019
I have a newly purchased sapphire 5700xt nitro and it is constantly crashing / having hard lockups and reboots when I hookup monitors in the following configuration:

HP LP3065 2560 x 1600 dvi - active dvi to displayport adapter.
Samsung 204t (x2) 1600 x 1200 in portrait dvi - dvi to hdmi adapter.

I am running 19.9.2 drivers and I have turned off VSR and vertical refresh. the option to turn off freesync looks to be greyed out as the monitors do not support it. I do not have eyefinity enabled.

when I have just the HP on the display port or the HP and a single samsung plugged in I do not experience crashing.

the rest of my system is as follows:

intel 4770k @stock.
asus z87a.
32gb ram @stock.
750w corsair hx

I am upgrading from a sapphire r290x which preformed flawlessly with these monitors. I did perform a clean wipe with DDU before installing the new drivers.

Dec 7, 2019
windows 10 pro 64bit
bios 1007 x 64 has a build data of 2013 which looks to be the latest on their site
dont remember exactly how old the psu us but im guess 2013 as well.

i have tried other combinations of monitors / cables and the result is the same. when all 3 are plugged in it crashes randomly. the only this I haven't tried is hooking up the HP LP3065 to hdmi as I cannot find an hdmi to dvi adapter that will let me use the monitors full resolution. so far every adapter ive tried locks the screen to 1280 x 800. even hdmi to dvi adapters that are dual link and say they support 4k.

crashes happen at idle as well as under load. I do not think its a psu issue because with 2 monitors under full load i am stable. and 3 monitors on the 290x i am stable. i seriously doubt a 5700xt with 3 monitors at idle uses more power than it does at full load with 2 monitors.

Dec 7, 2019
Could a bad active display port to dvi adapter give the kind of behavior I am seeing? i am running a test right now and so far it is stable.
i have disconnected the hp 3065 and connected 2 lenovo l2440p (1920 x 1200) dvi to hdmi and re connected the samsung 204ts on regular display port to dvi adapters.

so far no crashes. I have run a couple benchmarks and stress tests to see what happens but so far so good.

unfortunately i only have 1 of the active dvi to display port adapters so I cant test out apples to apples. im inclined to replace it but I do not know if the instability would be due to a faulty adapter or if it is just trying to push too much data through it. Would it make more sense to buy a replacement monitor. dell 3011s and 3014ts are relatively cheap on ebay and they come with dvi and display ports on them.

I have attached a screenshot of the display settings and the monitor setup. Normally the 2 lenovos are attached to a different computer. the HP 30in is in the middle.
display-settings.jpg

IMG-20191209-185524.jpg