[SOLVED] 5700XT Under performing Compared To Benchmarks

Jul 20, 2019
Specs-
CPU: Ryzen 3600
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC (running 7B85v17, which is the latest bios)
Ram: 16gb Vengeance DDR4 3000
SSD/HDD: 1 x 2tb Seagate HDD, 1 x 1tb Western Digital HDD, 1 x 500gb Western Digital M.2 SSD
GPU: Reference 5700XT
PSU: Corsair 750x Gold
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify C

On games (that are all maxed out for the sake of benchmarking) such as The Witcher 3, my framerate will drop to low 80s when doing essentially nothing when it should be around 100. Rise Of The Tomb Raider has my fps averaging about 60 in the benchmark, which should be MUCH higher at around 120. Assassins Creed Odyessy has a benchmark FPS of 55 on my system, while other benchmarks can have anything from 70 to 85 fps. Titanfall 2 also suffers from frequent stuttering. Monster Hunter World has a stable 70ish FPS, but I've seen reviews go up as high as 110. Superposition benchmark reports my score as 4928, with an average FPS (at 1080 Extreme) of 36.86, which is either 200 points below what I should be getting, or 600 points depending on benchmark. Wattman reports my card to settle at around 1850MHZ, which lines up with expected performance for the card. If it matters, the memory has also been locked at 875 and will never drop below. Although the performance hit should be minimal, I have 3 monitors - 2 60hz monitors that I leave for web browsing and the like, and 1 144 Hz monitor that I primarily use for gaming and normal tasks.

Things I've Tried:

Undervolting and Overclocking, changing PCI-E lane to gen 3 in BIOS, DDU and reinstalling drivers, messing around with Radeon Settings (no anti-lag, no sharpening, no Free-Sync, etc), changing monitor Hz, custom fan curves, turning off CPU Multi-Threading, askingforarefund (I think I'm too late on that one since my mobo came dead first time :/) , playing the games on an SSD, and probably a few more that I've forgotten. If anyone could bring some more ideas to the table, I'll be eternally thankful and name my firstborn child after you as well leave a serving of every meal for you.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You mean 75C is the hottest it got while running Heaven? Did you observe any issues while the benchmark was running? I seem to recall that it's normal for the benchmark to stutter a bit right at the beginning of a new scene, at least based on my experience.

Edit: I should mention that everything seems as expected in your userbenchmark run.

Reactions: SombaChan
Jul 20, 2019
From what I've seen, 75c is about as hot as it gets in general use for both of cpu and gpu (actually playing them vijio games). In the heaven benchmark, it'll get as high as 73c and 93c for junction. Sorry on the miscommunication on my part, and thank you again c:
I should note, that I'm running Heaven on Directx9 as an experiment, and I'm somehow getting 50 more FPS for a 150fps average.
No issues on Heaven other than some weird stuttering effect, but that's mostly because I'm running windowed.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
Yeah, in fact it’s overperforming by a little bit. So the part I don’t understand is to why it’s underperforming in real-life situations. I think I’m just going to chalk it up to immature drivers, since my games have been crashing a lot recently with the new 19.7.5 driver alongside the frame rates. I’ve tried basically everything I can think of to no avail, and Dxdiag lists everything as green, everything installed, etc. I have all the new chipsets, bios, drivers, etc etc. sigh
However, thank you for your help! Ill name my first born Hooker, as all good parents should.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Lol, my pleasure.

One last thing (bit of a hail Mary), maybe see how it performs with only monitor connected? I agree that having the other two connected but not gaming on them should not have any significant impact, but I have heard reports of some wonkiness when displays with different refresh rates are connected.

TRENDING THREADS