[SOLVED] 5900x not running at max speed at idle

Feb 20, 2021
Hi guys,

I was just watching Jayztwocents' video about a cheap cooler that he tested on his 5900x. In that video, he says it's normal for a 5900x to have high temps at idle because it runs at max speed and then decreases in speed under load, as the temps go up.

I then fired up Ryzen Master on my PC and noticed that my 5900x runs at below 2Ghz in idle and then slowly goes up as the load increases. Does anyone have any idea why that is? Is there a setting that disables the boost or something (that might have been disabled on my CPU)? I wasn't able to find a solution to this issue on a cursory google search.

Thanks!

Solution
It runs the exact same. The only thing that seemed to help at all was enabling OC via Ryzen Master. I do have the latest drivers.

I got a 980 gpu, an ASUS Prime x5790-p mobo, a seasonic 850 gold psu, teamgroup t-force extreem 3600 ram.

I should also add that i recall that when i first got this CPU in January, it did run at max speed at idle, however something must have happened in the meantime that has changed this. Aside from the bios update and Windows updates, i can't think of anything.
I'm not that familiar with Ryzen 5000...but in the case of Ryzen 3000 CPU's it doesn't run max speed constantly at idle. When set up properly it will boost to as high as max clock speed as needed to process transient tasks and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh ok, maybe its your power plan?

Thanks for all your suggestion but after hours of googling and going thro every bios setting under the sun i finaly found the problem was nothing to do with my bios setting i recently had a windows 10 update and not realizing it changed my power balance to power saver and drops the cpu down to 1.7 and boost's to 4.2 when in use but on the plus side got to learn a little bit more about overclocking and pbo2

Feb 20, 2021
I did update the bios a while back, it was the only way to get my ram to run at 3600. Maybe that's what caused it? But i don't recall enabling any eco setting on it. And it was running on the Balanced power plan. I now switched to High performance, but im not seeing any difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
searching for slow speed at idle on google just shows temp results. Can't it read or something? It really annoys me that it thinks it knows what i want.

high performance should have increased CPU speed. hmm.

Do you have the latest chipset drivers?
what are specs of the PC?

Feb 20, 2021
It runs the exact same. The only thing that seemed to help at all was enabling OC via Ryzen Master. I do have the latest drivers.

I got a 980 gpu, an ASUS Prime x5790-p mobo, a seasonic 850 gold psu, teamgroup t-force extreem 3600 ram.

I should also add that i recall that when i first got this CPU in January, it did run at max speed at idle, however something must have happened in the meantime that has changed this. Aside from the bios update and Windows updates, i can't think of anything.

In that video, he says it's normal for a 5900x to have high temps at idle because it runs at max speed and then decreases in speed under load, as the temps go up.
Don't know if that's exactly what Jayz said or meant when saying.. I stopped watching his content because he can give "confusing explanations".
Anyway, it's not how 5900X (or any CPU) behaves. Idling means doing almost nothing.. hence is working at lowest frequencies, consumes minimal power and thus has lowest possible temperature.
Saying all that above, I'm not sure what you wish to achieve.

I'm not that familiar with Ryzen 5000...but in the case of Ryzen 3000 CPU's it doesn't run max speed constantly at idle. When set up properly it will boost to as high as max clock speed as needed to process transient tasks and return the CPU core back to a C6 deep sleep as fast as possible. AMD referred to that as a 'rush to idle', which has been demonstrated to be an optimal energy conservation tactic for high core-count systems.

With Ryzen 3000 it does it on one core only at any one time while I believe Ryzen 5000 can potentially hit max clocks on all cores in the right conditions (with sufficient VRM power and temperature margin, which typically exists at 'idle'). That may be what Jayz2Cent was referring to.

Check the processor's specification page, and also this FAQ for more info on optimizing conditions to help it boost freely.

Last edited:
Solution