Jul 21, 2021
Hello!

I'm currently considering to set up a fixed wireless access solution (5G) for my business as my current internet speed is so slow from time to time. I currently have copper cable. I assume it's the best alternative option to fiber (but not available here). Are there any people out here who already have this solution and specifically a DAS (distributed antenna system)? As my business has 3 floors, I believe I would need FWA with a distributed antenna solution. Do you recommend it in general? Is there a provider that you recommend? In terms of installation, is it easy or are there any hurdles that I need to take into consideration?

Any insights on what I need to take into consideration for this solution, would be really helpful!

Best regards,

Denis

Solution
This is kinda the old way to do this but a question first.

What is your goal. Do you have a bunch of cellphones that you want all connected to a 5G system from a ISP. This type of system in effect puts a small cell tower with lots of antenna in your building. The end devices are on the cell provider network directly, they are not on some local network. In many cases the cell provider will install this almost for free. It allows them to in effect force all people to use them for service because all other providers will have much weaker signals. Providers seldom use DAS they put in multiple microcell boxes and link them via ethernet cables.

This is something very different than if you just wanted to get internet via a 5g...
This is kinda the old way to do this but a question first.

What is your goal. Do you have a bunch of cellphones that you want all connected to a 5G system from a ISP. This type of system in effect puts a small cell tower with lots of antenna in your building. The end devices are on the cell provider network directly, they are not on some local network. In many cases the cell provider will install this almost for free. It allows them to in effect force all people to use them for service because all other providers will have much weaker signals. Providers seldom use DAS they put in multiple microcell boxes and link them via ethernet cables.

This is something very different than if you just wanted to get internet via a 5g antenna on the outside of the building and then use a more normal wifi network inside the building.

Solution
Jul 21, 2021
Thanks for your reply!
I thought that a DAS was also used to transform 5G signal into Wi-Fi signal (https://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/fixed-wireless-access-can-enterprise-well-consumer-play/) and could serve both C-band and mmwave. I'm more interested in getting mmwave (that will be transformed to a wifi signal via a CPE) as I want to have high download speed coverage inside the building.
So to clarify, I want to use it for internet purpose inside the building. It could also be an idea to get the wifi signal via 5G antenna on the outside of the building but then I would still need a repeater as I've understood that mmwave not always allows good perturbation through windows.

Eitherway to get back to my initial questions, do you know if the DAS is an easy installation process? Who be a good provider for such a solution?

Anything like this would be done by a cell phone provider. You would have to find one that offers this service in your area. Most can also offer support for other forms of managed service like wifi and lan and even run your servers if you have them. This is just a variation of the outsource the IT functions.

The reason you would do this is when your primary need is for the cell phone coverage inside the building not to provide wifi.

You really should talk to a company that does wifi installation. If nothing else HP and DELL offer these services also but a company that does just wifi networks will likely be cheaper.

The solution you are talking about would be installed say by a large building owner with multiple tenants. In this way each tenant could get cell phone service and internet directly from the ISP without the building owner having to provide it.