ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hiya,

I have recently just got a new Router, the Virgin Hub 6. Virgin sent me a new one as an upgrade from my old Hub 4 along with a data packaged of 500Mb/s download.
Before the upgrade I could connect to the 5Ghz band no problem with my PC but not anymore, it only finds the 2.4Ghz band.

After some research and time fiddling with settings I found the following.

My new router uses DFS channels for 5Ghz and if I change the channel down to 44 a non DFS channel then my PC can find it but not connect.
I have played with the channel width as well going from a max of 20-160Mhz to just 20Mhz. But that doesn't work either.

I am using an Asus PCE-AC68 Wi-Fi card as my computer doesn't have on board Wi-Fi. The card will only work on an early version of the driver which is v2.0.8.8.

Is the Wi-Fi card not able to detect channels in the DFS range? and is there a way to change that?
If not what PCI-e cards can I buy that will allow me to see all the channels and connect without issues.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

kanewolf

Titan
Hiya,

I have recently just got a new Router, the Virgin Hub 6. Virgin sent me a new one as an upgrade from my old Hub 4 along with a data packaged of 500Mb/s download.
Before the upgrade I could connect to the 5Ghz band no problem with my PC but not anymore, it only finds the 2.4Ghz band.

After some research and time fiddling with settings I found the following.

My new router uses DFS channels for 5Ghz and if I change the channel down to 44 a non DFS channel then my PC can find it but not connect.
I have played with the channel width as well going from a max of 20-160Mhz to just 20Mhz. But that doesn't work either.

I am using an Asus PCE-AC68 Wi-Fi card as my computer doesn't have on board Wi-Fi. The card will only work on an early version of the driver which is v2.0.8.8.

Is the Wi-Fi card not able to detect channels in the DFS range? and is there a way to change that?
If not what PCI-e cards can I buy that will allow me to see all the channels and connect without issues.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
Unless you live in an apartment with a lot of neighboring WIFI interference, there is no need to use DFS channels.
40Mhz is the most compatible channel width.

ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
@kanewolf

The router uses DFS channels by default and there's no options to disable it unless you manually select a channel. By doing this i can see the 5Ghz band but cant connect to it. Giving me a message saying "Unable to find IP" or Saying "No Internet".

I have tried multiple combinations of channels and widths but nothing works. Only when the router settings are set to "Enable Channel Optimization" does the 5Ghz actually work on other devices, but i am unable to see it on my PC.

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf

The router uses DFS channels by default and there's no options to disable it unless you manually select a channel. By doing this i can see the 5Ghz band but cant connect to it. Giving me a message saying "Unable to find IP" or Saying "No Internet".

I have tried multiple combinations of channels and widths but nothing works. Only when the router settings are set to "Enable Channel Optimization" does the 5Ghz actually work on other devices, but i am unable to see it on my PC.
All my WIFI is on manually selected channels. There is no downside to that unless you live in a congested location.

In some ways it would be better if DFS channels were disabled by default. There are some devices that do not support it. Your device likely does not which is why it does not see the router channels. Your router is also wifi6

Better wifi6 devices support 160mhz but this requires use of DFS channels but 160mhz support is rare in end devices.
Pretty much 160mhz wifi is useless unless you go wifi6e which can use the 6ghz band which has lots of non DFS blocks.

You can likely set the channels manually and even use 80mhz bands which should be more than fast enough. There are likely 2 80mhz blocks you can choose from. Try channel 42 which many routers use for 80mhz in the low range. If you have interference you can try another one if it is available.