5th Generation iPod Touch Teardown: Tough to Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]"somewhat disappointed" with the weaker design of the iPhone Touch's home button.Iphone Touch?[/citation]
i read that too and was like ??? hehe

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Now Apple is looking to take the profits of the Apple devices repair industry by forcing the consumer to head to their local Apple store and pay over half the device's value in repairs

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
There is another wrong with what Apple is doing. For the most part, it is making it easier for the units to be assembled which is more costly than repairing the units. The ability to have assembly workers place only a few parts into a box at one time simplifies everything.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Now Apple is looking to take the profits of the Apple devices repair industry by forcing the consumer to head to their local Apple store and pay over half the device's value in repairs[/citation]

Over $6 Billion has been spend repairing broken faulty apple devices in the time since the iPhone. It was reported here some time ago.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
And once again Apple takes the prize. They are effectivly forcing people to either pay outragous ammounts of money to repair their phone or to buy a new one. Either way it's a lose lose situation for the consumer. How are they even allowed to keep doing these kinds of buisness practices.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Lots of Apple bashing just to be Apple bashing going on (Android user for the record). Apple simplified their product which means less point of failures which not only means it's easier to assemble which is good for them, but it also means if they did it right it should result in it being more reliable. Yes it means you can't replace every small component out there but that is a side effect of grouping things together and simplifying it.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I really hate the fact that I can't go to Apple and order a new LCD for the iphone, instead you have to rely on 3rd party parts which are either very shoddy or somewhat close to the original product depending on how much you pay for it but either way it's an inferior product.
It wouldn't be that bad to have Apple repair it if they didn't charge outrageous sums to where you would be better off purchasing a new product which is probably their intention.
A friend of mine dropped a SD card into the iMac super drive slot and the quoted price of repairs was 2000 dollars! total ripoff!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]garrick[/nom]I really hate the fact that I can't go to Apple and order a new LCD for the iphone, instead you have to rely on 3rd party parts which are either very shoddy or somewhat close to the original product depending on how much you pay for it but either way it's an inferior product. It wouldn't be that bad to have Apple repair it if they didn't charge outrageous sums to where you would be better off purchasing a new product which is probably their intention. A friend of mine dropped a SD card into the iMac super drive slot and the quoted price of repairs was 2000 dollars! total ripoff![/citation]
In my local shopping mall there's a ZAGG stand that does iDevice repair...cracked screens, etc. You can even change the colour of your iPhone or iPad from white or black to blue, red, green, or yellow. They'll replace an iPhone battery for $15. Yeah, we live near the capital of the free world but ZAGG must be in lots of locations too.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Over $6 Billion has been spend repairing broken faulty apple devices in the time since the iPhone. It was reported here some time ago."

http://www.statisticbrain.com/apple-computer-company-statistics/

I can't say how accurate the info on that link is [nor the $6B figure on repairs], but lets go with it.

192M iPhones-- lets say an average of $600 each = $115.2B
350M iPods-- lets say an average of $150 each = $52.5B
84M iPads-- lets say an average of $550 each = $46.2B

I'm assuming that the Mac repairs are not included and Apple TV $$$ are negligible [and are cheap enough to just replace rather than repair, IMO]

Total that up and I get $213.9B in sales, with $6B in repairs only being an additional 2.8%.

G

Apple products was, is, and always will be a bitch to repair. They rather you frequent their hyperprofitiable Apple stores for repairs then go to an small business to.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]m1n3kraft[/nom]Apple products was, is, and always will be a bitch to repair. They rather you frequent their hyperprofitable Apple stores for repairs then go to an small business to.[/citation]
I disagree. I think Apple just doesn't build its products around the idea of them needing to be repaired. Usually...usually, they don't need to be...theyr'e discarded (or whatever) usually long before they need repair. Probably the same as my SGS3... The day it needs to be "repaired" I'll probably be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.