+5VSB / pc standby power questions

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
How can I disable the standby power that still lights up my motherboard leds, usb devices when i've shutdown completely? I've tried ErP enabled in Power Management in BIOS, psu is Seasonic S12II 620, but my motherboard LED still on. There is no jumper to set on the Asus mobo.

Will the backlight LEDs (audio noise guard thing) overheat if left on 24 hours daily? There is still live current and power surge/power outage happens?

Currently I have to turn off the wall socket everytime the pc is shutdown because it doesnt cut power. I'm aware that the 5VSB is used to power CMOS batt but these are my concerns. Thanks for any suggestions.

very odd my m12II 750 doesn't do this unless I have an option set in my bios I believe

Hook up a volt meter to your PSU's +5Vsb rail and you'll find out that it operates exactly the way I described it.

From the ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide:

+5 VSB is a standby supply output that is active whenever the AC power is present. It provides a power source for circuits that must remain operational when the five main DC output rails are in a disabled state. Example uses include soft power control, Wake on LAN, wake-on-modem, intrusion detection, or suspend state activities.

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
It's odd because after I disabled all the Wake on LAN stuff+enabled ErP mode on Shutdown, uninstalled AI charger stuff and the audio path lighting LEDs turn off completely (as does USB) but not my mobo onboard Standby Power LED.. (stays on forever or for 3 minutes after I cut power so it's even more annoying). I also noticed the S12II box has an ErP/EuP leaf logo, but no info found on their official site?! It's harder to find actual ErP PSUs as the info isnt always available and I'm not from EU.

Just one question, will the motherboard backlight LEDs last/damage the surrounding circuits if I dont turn the mains off?

The motherboard's Standby Power LED is operating exactly the way it was designed to operate. It's used to indicate to the user that the motherboard is still receiving power so that the user is able to determine whether or not it is safe to perform a Clear CMOS or install or remove of devices like the CPU, graphics card(s), etc.

The Standby Power LED takes several seconds to extinguish after the PSU's AC power is removed because the bulk capacitor in the PSU's APFC circuit holds a large charge.

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I'm aware of that, it should be normal to take about 6-10 seconds after cutting power but it stays on for 3 mins which is abit too long and I would unplug psu and hold power button to drain the caps (if tinkering with parts). This doesnt happen if I disable ErP in BIOS, the standby LED drains normally (5 seconds). That's why I find it odd.