[SOLVED] 6 core 6 threads vs 6 cores 12 threads

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
In gaming (preferably Fortnite), how much of a difference would these hypothetical CPUs make? Would there be a big difference in fps or is it more or less the same.

Solution
How about the difference between the r7 2700/2700x and the i5?

I don't think you understand how cores work in gaming. If you really want the extra cores for streaming or doing work stuff, get the 2700x. BUT in gaming, even overclocked, the 8600k wins over the 2700x. And for the 2700x you need a motherboard that can allow you to OC or enable some option, Intel seems easier to OC just get a z370 motherboard.

If you want gaming + streaming but care more about gaming, 8700k. 8600k is pure glass cannon GAMING and seems to OC even better than the i7 8700k.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIbuvtmdNis

View...

Phazoner

Distinguished
It depends. If you are comparing processors from the same brand and generation, I would always pick the one with 12 threads. Having only 6, more powerful each cores than the 12 threads alone, you will get better results in most of nowadays games (not for much) as developers don't seem to be really optimizing well for performance when using threads, but the processor will be able to last longer and perform better in future games.

I just think that the price gap and minor performance gain that the six processors have over the twelve threads ones just doesn't overcome the much higher durability that more threads offer.

more cores is preferable as in 8/8 > 6/12.

i cant confirm this but its said that threads usually can improve performance by 20% IF multi-threading is a thing and if the game in question can take advantage of it, also, know that hyperthreading isnt any (black) magic, if a core has frees resources then it can run processes on a second lane, in a way and overally speaking, improve performance... if said core is already at high usage by a process, then ht is meaningless.

meanwhile, 8 real cores is literally more sheer horsepower into the play

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
So
It depends. If you are comparing processors from the same brand and generation, I would always pick the one with 12 threads. Having only 6, more powerful each cores than the 12 threads alone, you will get better results in most of nowadays games (not for much) as developers don't seem to be really optimizing well for performance when using threads, but the processor will be able to last longer and perform better in future games.

I just think that the price gap and minor performance gain that the six processors have over the twelve threads ones just doesn't overcome the much higher durability that more threads offer.
So should I pick the i5 9600k or the r5 2600x keeping in mind of price and its performance in games like Fortnite?

Cioby

Distinguished
How about the difference between the r7 2700/2700x and the i5?

I don't think you understand how cores work in gaming. If you really want the extra cores for streaming or doing work stuff, get the 2700x. BUT in gaming, even overclocked, the 8600k wins over the 2700x. And for the 2700x you need a motherboard that can allow you to OC or enable some option, Intel seems easier to OC just get a z370 motherboard.

If you want gaming + streaming but care more about gaming, 8700k. 8600k is pure glass cannon GAMING and seems to OC even better than the i7 8700k.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIbuvtmdNis

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoDSLhEy-KM

Besides that the only real difference in gaming is that the Ryzen uses like twice the Watts.

Solution

Phazoner

Distinguished
The i5 will usually give him around 10% more FPS in nowadays games but also be more likely to get obsolete before and paying like 30-40% more. If he wants to pay nearly a 50% more for the i5 to push the performance from 160 to 180FPS is up to him. But it is not worth it.