Sanji21

Commendable
May 20, 2021
hi..
I have a 6 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. i need to power 1660 super which has an 8 pin socket.
i manged to connect the 6 pin and 2 of the 4 pin.
but i didn't power the machine fearing some bad may happen 🔥🔥🔥
if its going to work i need to remove the extra 2 pins from the 4 pin.
image 4 pin
image 6 & 4 pin
what to next.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That four-pin is not for the GPU.

If you don't have a 6+2 pin connector on your PSU, it's definitely completely inappropriate to be running a 1660 Super. You shouldn't turn on this PC under any circumstances without knowing the *exact* PSU involved.

Reactions: Sanji21

Sanji21

Commendable
May 20, 2021
what the psu?

are you sure the 4 pin is not for the cpu?

are the 6 and 4 pin on the same cable?
don't the psu prebuild.
yes 4 pin coming fromn8 pin cpu cable.
no they are not.
I guess 🔥🔥🔥
🤣🤣
I am cheeping it out dont want to buy a psu

If you really want to do this and I am not so sure it is a good idea you can get a cable that coverts a 6 pin to 8 pin.

The extra 2 pins on 8 pin actually do not provide any power to the card. They most times are both ground pins.
What this is suppose to do is tell the video card that the wires used on the 6 pin connectors are large enough to drop more current. It all depends on your power supply if the wires are already the correct size.

All these special cable adapters do is ground the 2 extra pins so the video card thinks it can draw more power.

If it works is all going to depend on the size of the wires on your current 6 pin.

In general if a power supply does not already have this type of connector you have to be very careful that it is actually large enough to power your video card.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
don't the psu prebuild.
yes 4 pin coming fromn8 pin cpu cable.
no they are not.
I guess 🔥🔥🔥
🤣🤣
I am cheeping it out dont want to buy a psu

Well, you may then get to buy two GPUs. The GPU you already bought, and then a second GPU after you possibly destroy the first using a cheap PSU.

Cheap PSUs are quite often one of the most expensive parts of a PC.

So let's get some solid information and until then, get this GPU out of this system before you destroy it.