60 Hz or 144 Hz?

chill_Squid

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by!

I plan on building a system with just a 1060 in it, at the moment, BUT this is because I am going all out on my GPU next year.

I want to get a 144 Hz monitor to prep for that, but I heard significant tearing occurs if it is paired with a 1060. Is this true? What should I do?

Thank you for your time and input!

Solution
No, its not true.
Tearing can happen if your monitors refresh rate does not match the actual in game fps. With higher fps/hz the chance to get tearing is even less. And tearing is graphics card independent. The best is a G-Sync monitor to avoid it, but this can get expensive. You should just know that the GTX 1060 can require you to lower resolution or quality settings to hit constant 144 fps, if you want get most out of 144hz. But you don't need high fps for all games. I don't know who told you that, but you can safely buy it. Most safe thing would be to get a monitor with G-Sync.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
No, its not true.
Tearing can happen if your monitors refresh rate does not match the actual in game fps. With higher fps/hz the chance to get tearing is even less. And tearing is graphics card independent. The best is a G-Sync monitor to avoid it, but this can get expensive. You should just know that the GTX 1060 can require you to lower resolution or quality settings to hit constant 144 fps, if you want get most out of 144hz. But you don't need high fps for all games. I don't know who told you that, but you can safely buy it. Most safe thing would be to get a monitor with G-Sync.

Solution