60 mbps internet speed

ZeroGravity780

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
I have 60mbps internet speed but i only get 7-8 mbps when i download games. Does anyone have an answer im not network savvy at all. When i speed test i get 60mbps download and 5 upload. Im directly plugged into the router.

Solution
The game is saturating, downloads from steam and the like are listed in MegaBytes per second which are 8 times larger than a megabit so your 7-8 Megabyte per second is approx 56-64 Megabit per second, ISP sell in megabit per second.

whalen22

Honorable
May 26, 2012
This happens to everybody... I have 50mbps and I only get around 2.5-3.5 mbps on steam downloads. It is mostly due to the fact that you are instead downloading off of busy steam servers and you are downloading actual files or something like that. Im no expert in this but I do know this is 100% standard. Its like if you were downloading off of a crappy website it would take longer than a payed premium download due to the fact that they have better, less crowded servers. Also 7mbps on steam downloads is really good... The majority of us are lucky to even get near 4mbps or even less.

ZeroGravity780

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Oh ok thats for clarifying that. I wasnt really sure what i was suppose to be getting. Ive always gotten 7-8 mbps i just was never sure why it wasnt 60 because that would be nice lol. But if its a standard then ill live with it thanks for the reply!

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
Could also be because steam and other downloads are list as MBps not Mbps (Byte instead of bit) Byte being 8 times larger than a bit, so an internet plan on 80 Mbps is approx 10 MBps. So 7-8 MBps from a download is saturating your 60Mbps connection.

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
The game is saturating, downloads from steam and the like are listed in MegaBytes per second which are 8 times larger than a megabit so your 7-8 Megabyte per second is approx 56-64 Megabit per second, ISP sell in megabit per second.

Solution

Certifiable28

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Lets see, if I were to use that bandwidth on a P2P Network for multiple downloads, while using a streaming service in my living room and across 4 other devices. There are are real world applications for such speeds and especially if you want good speeds across the whole network and not just one person hogging it all. This is where the higher speeds come into play, the everyday user has no use for it but my friend, I do. Cheers :)