600W 12V 2.2V: PSU Jargon, and GTX 670?

G

Hello.

I am going to be building a budget gaming PC later this year, and I'm a bit confused about PSUs and what everything means.

I am looking at a Xigmatek 600W PSU that is 12V and 2.2v? I do not understand what all of this means. Also, it is a "standard" PSU and is not a "80 Plus" certified PSU, which I keep hearing about when people talk about PSUs. Could somebody fill me in on what all of this jargon means? I would be very grateful for the help.

Also, the main question, would this PSU be good enough for running an Intel Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz (the CPU i've decided to go with: or possibly the Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.3GHz), and a GTX 670, or even higher, like a GTX 680?

Thank you.

// Vallataa.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Main question: Yes, that power supply will be enough to run your system with a 670. Probably with two 670s, though that might be pushing it.

Yeah, that's not a very good PSU at all. It's the 600W VC Series and VC stands for "Valued-Class". A better name for it would be "Bottom of the Barrel Class".

It only puts out 504W max across both 12V rails (or so it says), and even if that's close, I wouldn't trust my hardware to it, that's for sure.