6200 as modem

I got a DKU-5 data cable for my Nokia 6200 and installed the software on
my laptop, then downloaded PC-Suite from Nokia and installed that. It
shows up as "Port 1 ... COM11". I tried AOL, which didn't see the modem,
and which only offers Com1-9 under set-it-up-yourself mode. So no luck.
Then the next time I turned the machine on, it said "new hardware
detected" and reinstalled everything, this time using COM12. So what do I
need to a) get a usable mobile modem, and b) get it installed once and for
all? The phone shows a "G" among the icons at the top, which I understand
to mean EDGE, which I understand to be substantially faster than the 9600
baud my T720 runs. Correct?

Go to cingular, and purchase their data kit and smith micro software.

then contact cingular and have you phone provisioned for that kind of usage.
I made the same mistake.

Chip

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> I got a DKU-5 data cable for my Nokia 6200 and installed the software on
> my laptop, then downloaded PC-Suite from Nokia and installed that. It
> shows up as "Port 1 ... COM11". I tried AOL, which didn't see the modem,
> and which only offers Com1-9 under set-it-up-yourself mode. So no luck.
> Then the next time I turned the machine on, it said "new hardware
> detected" and reinstalled everything, this time using COM12. So what do I
> need to a) get a usable mobile modem, and b) get it installed once and for
> all? The phone shows a "G" among the icons at the top, which I understand
> to mean EDGE, which I understand to be substantially faster than the 9600
> baud my T720 runs. Correct?

DC

Did you install the software driver for the phone?
Check out this link:
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6200/1,2803,apps:1,00.html

You should be able to connect without buying anything else from Cingular.
If you do contact Cingular, they will try and tell you need a "Data Connect"
plan ($$$), which is not true.

Good Luck.
DC

"Ralph Blach" <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote in message
> Go to cingular, and purchase their data kit and smith micro software.
>
> then contact cingular and have you phone provisioned for that kind of
usage.
> I made the same mistake.
>
> Chip
>
> tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> > I got a DKU-5 data cable for my Nokia 6200 and installed the software on
> > my laptop, then downloaded PC-Suite from Nokia and installed that. It
> > shows up as "Port 1 ... COM11". I tried AOL, which didn't see the
modem,
> > and which only offers Com1-9 under set-it-up-yourself mode. So no luck.
> > Then the next time I turned the machine on, it said "new hardware
> > detected" and reinstalled everything, this time using COM12. So what do
> > need to a) get a usable mobile modem, and b) get it installed once and
for
> > all? The phone shows a "G" among the icons at the top, which I
understand
> > to mean EDGE, which I understand to be substantially faster than the
9600
> > baud my T720 runs. Correct?

>Go to cingular, and purchase their data kit and smith micro software.

>then contact cingular and have you phone provisioned for that kind of usage.
I have Smith Micro software from the Nokia 6200's predecessor, a
Motorola T720. So should I run just the DKU-5 install (since it's
physically a different cable does it need different software?) but then
use the Smith Micro thing for modem software? The T720 was, and the line
presumably still is, on the $0/month, pay for usage plan.

> Did you install the software driver for the phone?
> Check out this link:
> http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6200/1,2803,apps:1,00.html
I've installed everything twice, with an intermediate run of the
"register cleaner", though I used the CDROM that came with the data cable
instead of the download from that site. The dates on the CDROM files seem
newer in some cases than those in the dku5.exe zip file. I manually
changed the install's selection of COM13 to COM2. (The Device Manager
showed COM2 unassigned, then a slew of assignments up through COM12, so it
autoselected COM13. I have no idea where all those COM port "assignments"
came from.) I recall at a later point during the install "detect" that
correctly found the phone on com2. PC Suite Connection Manager sees the
phone (serial). Per a previous thread here, I added "wap.cingular" as the
GPRS access point, though I didn't see anyplace for the user/password that
message mentioned.

MD

"DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Did you install the software driver for the phone?
> Check out this link:
> http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6200/1,2803,apps:1,00.html
>
> You should be able to connect without buying anything else from Cingular.

Yes, but you'll never be able to take advantage of the built-in network
compression if you don't use the Cingular client software....

---
MD