Question 620w power cable on an 850w PSU?

Sep 9, 2024
My knowledge with power supplies are still lacking so forgive me if this is an obvious and stupid question but can I use my Seasonic M12II 620w bronze Evo edition psu's Power cable on my 1stplayer NGDP 850w gold psu without issues whatsoever?

Me and my cousin accidentally swapped our psu's Power cables (the cable that is used to plug from the butt of the PSU itself near the on and off switch to a power outlet/socket) after he visited. By the time I realized I got the wrong power cable it was way too late because he already got home and he lives 1 hr from us, and I need to use my computer RIGHT NOW because I have to do computer-related work like video editing and 3d modeling.

If any of these help, between my 850w psu's power cable and his 620w psu's power cable, both have the same 3 pin hole for the butt of our psu's and same cable wire thickness, and both our psu's have "100-240 VAC" labeled at the area where the power cable is plugged into.

Hey there,

Short answer. No. You should never use cables from one PSU on another. It's a recipe for disaster.

ONLY use the cables that come with the PSU. Simples.

Edit: Ah, do you mean the power cord, or the internal cables? Either way, I wouldn't. It's likely the power cord has thicker wiring or gauge. Just get the cable back. All you can do.

Whilst it may work, I wouldn't do it.

Sep 9, 2024
I meant power cord SORRY, check the
Hey there,

Short answer. No. You should never use cables from one PSU on another. It's a recipe for disaster.

ONLY use the cables that come with the PSU. Simples.

Edit: Ah, do you mean the power cord, or the internal cables?
SORRY I meant the power cord, check the "power cable" word in the 1st paragraph, it has an imgur link of the power cord that I'm talking about.

And between the power cord on the imgur and my 850w power cord that my cousin now has, they look the same, same 3 pin hole and same cable thickness

I meant power cord SORRY, check the

SORRY I meant the power cord, check the "power cable" word in the 1st paragraph, it has an imgur link of the power cord that I'm talking about.

And between the power cord on the imgur and my 850w power cord that my cousin now has, they look the same, same 3 pin hole and same cable thickness
Yeah, I hear ya. It could be they are identical, I just wouldn't risk it.

It's up to you, if you do or not.

Are there any identifiable specs on the cord heads?

I checked both specs of my 1stplayer 850w and the Seasonic M12II PSU on their respective websites and can't find anything specifications about the power cords
The Seasonic is an old PSU. Is the other one new? Or even a couple of years old? If so, I wouldn't. The cables are probably not comparable.

But, I think you are probably gonna try it regardless of how many times I say not to ;) Eh?

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Over this side of the Atlantic we'd call it a power cable or an IEC mains lead, so I'm quite happy with your initial description.

If any of these help, between my 850w psu's power cable and his 620w psu's power cable
Check your cousin's power cable/cord that he left behind. Look for small letters embossed on the flat surface of the end that fits into the back of the ATX PSU (or possibly the other end that plugs into the wall outlet).

If it's a moulded (molded) connector, you should see the rating of the cable itself printed on the plug (not the rating of the ATX PSU).

On the IEC lead in front of me, it says 10A 250V (my mains supply is 240V AC 50Hz).

If you live in the States, your lead might say 10A 120V, or 16A 120V, or 10A 250V. Check it out.

If the lead says 10A 120V, the rating is 10x120 = 1,200W (1.2kW) max.
If the lead says 16A 120V, the rating is 16x120 = 1,920W (1.9kW) max.
If the lead says 10A 250V, the rating is 10x250 = 2,500W (2.5kW) max.

Your PSU has a maximum output power rating of 850W (but will draw approx 10% more power if it's only 90% efficient when running flat out). 850+10% = 935W (well below 1,200W rating of a 10A 120V cable).

Your cousin's power supply has a maximum output rating of 620W (and again it will draw 10% more from the mains when running flat out). 620+10% = 682W (well below the 1,200W rating of a 10A 120V cable).

Perhaps by now you might be wondering if mains power cords/cables/leads are "generic" and freely interchangeable? If so, you're correct. You can swap them round safely.

Ask your cousin to read off the rating of the other lead and compare. Provided both leads are rated at 10A or higher, you're both pefectly safe. It doesn't matter in the slightest if your AC mains is 120V 60Hz and the mains lead is rated at a much higher 250V. The cable will still work at 120V.

I have boxes full of IEC mains leads from dozens of different suppliers and I grab any cable that's handy. It doesn't matter.

I speak as an electronics design engineer with a university degree in Electrical Engineering and Electronics plus decades of experience.

Just plug your cousin's mains lead into your computer's PSU and stop worrying.

On the other hand, NEVER plug DC leads from a different modular PSU into your PSU. The pinouts on the back of the ATX PSU could be different and cause major damage.