Sep 28, 2019
1569675552419.png

Hello,

I am currently in the process of building a new pc, but I am unsure about the wattage of the PSU; so far I have decided to get the Corsair RMx series.

My current build at pcpartpicker estimates the wattage of my build to be about 394 W, but factoring in overclocking for both the ryzen 5 and 5700 xt along with other added peripherals on outervision the Recommended PSU Wattage sits at 618 W and recommends a 850W power supply. The spec-sheet for my GPU states that Minimum System Power requirement is 700W (whatever that means).

Will a 650W power supply from Corsair RMx be sufficient or should I settle for 750W or 850W assuming I would overclock my system and make future upgrades?

Sep 24, 2019
618W so don't settle for 650W because that would be too close and a PSU operating near it's maximum capacity will have a lower life-cycle compared to one using less of it's maximum capacity so I would recommend the 750W also it will be future proof.

Sep 28, 2019
F*ck outervision. it's one of the worst calculators out there.

650W is more than enough for this build.

Why do you think it is the worst? As far as I can see, it has the most options for customization, peripherals, and overclocking capabilities, whereas every other PSU calculators fall short in everyone of those categories.

because it grossly overstates power demands.

for Ryzen 3700X at stock it estimate 179W and recommends 229W PSU.
haven't seen a review that pushed the 3700 to 120W consumption yet.
for the i7-9700k it calculate 210W power draw, Tom's torture loop totalled at just under 200W. better, still off.

for a Nvidia 2070Super the Tom's Review managed to pull 230W peak power.
Outervision however says; 332W load wattage.

the RX5700 uses around 200W. what does Outervision say? a whooping 297W.

hell they even turn the GT1030 into a 150W card, although I haven't seen a GT1030 that wouldn't have been powered by the PCIe slot alone - which delivers half that at most.

it's just grossly overstating power draws. it's highly costumisable but the figures they use are full of shit.

pcpp while mostly using TDP values is much more realistic in terms of power draw than outervision

Sep 28, 2019
it's just grossly overstating power draws. it's highly costumisable but the figures they use are full of shit.

Aren't these overstatements just to ensure that that the PSU won't fry itself during peak loads?
Power draw is not always consistent, and it's usually better to take a pessimistic estimate as baseline than an optimistic one.

The AMD RX5700xt will draw around 300w. Given the Ryzen 5 3600 is very efficient and will draw well under 100w, you do not need a massive PSU.

A good 650w RMx is plenty for this system.
In fact, most single GPU setups today can get buy with a quality 650w such as the Corsair RMx, so the 650w will not limit upgrades.

You sure that it will be sufficient even if I want to overclock my system?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need a calculator. It's easy math.
Cpu: TDP x2, add 100w for OC
Gpu: power plugs
Rest of the pc 100w
Thats all you need.

So 130w for Ryzen 3600
8/6/pcie or 300w for 5700xt
100w for pc

That's 530w, so a quality 550w will handle the pc no worries, or quality 650w if you plan on OC. Those are maximum possible power usage, which are grossly overestimated vrs most power consumptions, the gpu will be hard pressed to use 225w but has a 300w capacity etc.

Aren't these overstatements just to ensure that that the PSU won't fry itself during peak loads?
Power draw is not always consistent, and it's usually better to take a pessimistic estimate as baseline than an optimistic one.

the rating of PSUs are for continuous loads. power spikes don't need to factor into this. they are constructed with these in mind.
furthermore most quality PSUs can sustain severely heavier loads than what they're rated for a prolonged time even.

that being said, power draw is often over exaggerated. apart from benchmarks specifically designed to, there's next to no scenario where CPU & GPU use all their resources and all their instructions sets to the max simulatenously

ExtremeOutervision is not a free service. They over estimate the power needed, then "suggests" a power supply via an affiliate link that helps pay for the site.

A quality PSU is not going to "fry itself" if it's working within it's designed parameters.

If you're using a garbage PSU that has a "850W" label, but it's actually a 500W, you shouldn't be using that PSU in the first place.

More than enough.