[SOLVED] 6700 xt is not increasing performance at all.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
I upgraded my gpu from a 5700 xt to a 6700 xt and there has not been a performance increase at all. My fps in every game is almost exactly the same. My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz. Does anyone know any reasons why and any fixes?

Spec list:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus ROG strix B450-F
Sapphire NITRO+ 6700 xt
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (4x8) 3000 Mhz
PowerSpec 650W Power Supply Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze ATX

Solution
My 6700 xt is drawing the same amount of watts as my 5700 xt, at around 30 to 50 watts. My clock speed is usually around 500-1000 MHz, never even close to the supposed base clock of 2300 MHz
have you tried manually setting Voltage, Core & Memory speeds?

I did a factory reset of my computer but kept my files. I then installed the drivers for the 6700 xt.
you haven't stated if you actually used DDU to wipe the GPU drivers & data yet.

doing a "factory reset" from within Windows only reverts Windows settings to defaults, it does not wipe all existing drivers and user information.

you would need to totally remove all related graphics files and settings with the DDU software and then reinstall the latest.
the funny thing is...
See if you can increase your ram speed, see if that changes anything.

I think your cpu and ram speed was already limiting your 5700xt to be perfectly honest.
If you've had the 5700xt since you got the 2700X the driver updates have moved it up a
class or two in performance rivaling the 2070 super in some cases.

I suspect ram speed is your issue. As for the clock speed issue you are having, it's a reporting error, new card, new drivers AMD... I doubt I need to go any further into that as you are an AMD enthusiast. Clocked at 500-1000Mhz it wouldn't post results similar to your 5700xt

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014
Ram speed can imporve perforamnce quite a bit with Ryzen atleast if its set to the 2:1 ratio that infinity fabric likes. So RAM speed is 3600Mhz and infinity fabric 1800Mhz (belive this is stock).

Also knowing what resolution you are running could be quite a good thing to know, but i do assume u play at 1080p wich means its easyer to be CPU bound, but u should see FPS imporvements either way.

Also resetting Windows and keeping your files might keep driver files aswell, so i would just use DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) tool to make sure that everything is gone and the install the driver fresh.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
What strikes me as weird as your draw power is only of 50 watts and those clock speeds. That almost the draw these cards have when watching a movie or yt videos... have you tried with a benchmark? Does it give the same results in term of power draw? Are you sure you haven't vsynch or radeon chill active?

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
What strikes me as weird as your draw power is only of 50 watts and those clock speeds. That almost the draw these cards have when watching a movie or yt videos... have you tried with a benchmark? Does it give the same results in term of power draw? Are you sure you haven't vsynch or radeon chill active?
I've made sure both vsynch and radeon chill are off. When i do the stress test that is provided in the performance tuning section, the power consumption reaches 200 watts. The 5700 xt had the same issue where it wouldn't exceed 50-60 watts.

Very important here is what resolution are you playing at....if at 1440p you might not see much change at all, at 1080p more likely. I had a 2700x has 8 cores and 16 threads and it will not bottleneck (God I hate that term) a 6700xt. Have you downloaded Adrenaline? it is really pretty good now and you can do loads of tweaking in it, way more than MSI Afterburner.

I would personally never have gone from a 5700xt to a 6700xt, the performance between the 2 is not worth the price you have to pay.

Reactions: M3rKn

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Very important here is what resolution are you playing at....if at 1440p you might not see much change at all, at 1080p more likely. I had a 2700x has 8 cores and 16 threads and it will not bottleneck (God I hate that term) a 6700xt. Have you downloaded Adrenaline? it is really pretty good now and you can do loads of tweaking in it, way more than MSI Afterburner.

I would personally never have gone from a 5700xt to a 6700xt, the performance between the 2 is not worth the price you have to pay.
I'm playing at 1080p. I'll give Adrenaline a shot though. Just went from 5700xt to 6700xt cuz i only payed 300 for the 5700xt and my friend said i could pay him 200 dollars and my 5700xt for a 6700xt, so i took the deal.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
That's fair enough of a deal, and in Adrenaline you can set it to run like a robbers dog !!! I use it on my 6800xt.
I tried using the preset overclock GPU option in the performance tuning, but if it increased performance at all it was minimal. The problems still persist with low clock speed and Watt consumption remaining at around 50.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
See if you can increase your ram speed, see if that changes anything.

I think your cpu and ram speed was already limiting your 5700xt to be perfectly honest.
If you've had the 5700xt since you got the 2700X the driver updates have moved it up a
class or two in performance rivaling the 2070 super in some cases.

I suspect ram speed is your issue. As for the clock speed issue you are having, it's a reporting error, new card, new drivers AMD... I doubt I need to go any further into that as you are an AMD enthusiast. Clocked at 500-1000Mhz it wouldn't post results similar to your 5700xt
Could you go into further detail about the clock speed issues. I don't really know that much about PC's other than basic information on how to maintain and install parts. My usage of AMD parts is solely from the fact that i was able to find good deals and bundles (all hail microcenter) for them.

Ehhmmm, maybe your mate wanted to be rid of a Monday build 6700xt? and that is why he swapped it for your 5700xt and 200$......maybe he did OC the hell out of his shiny new GPU and bricked it, you have no way of telling. Is he a good mate or just kinda know him casual mate?

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Ehhmmm, maybe your mate wanted to be rid of a Monday build 6700xt? and that is why he swapped it for your 5700xt and 200$......maybe he did OC the hell out of his shiny new GPU and bricked it, you have no way of telling. Is he a good mate or just kinda know him casual mate?
Definitely a good friend. He has no need for a 6700 xt, he was just getting a mobo for another friend and saw that the 6700 xt was in stock. He has a 3090 of his own.

This could also be a PSU issue, better minds than me had something to say about your PSU in this thread, food for thought. Could be your PSU is not delivering?

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019

Basically like getting a 2020 Corolla and trading it in for a 2021 Corolla expecting more performance. If more performance was what he wanted should have got a 6800 or XT veriant.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
This could also be a PSU issue, better minds than me had something to say about your PSU in this thread, food for thought. Could be your PSU is not delivering?

I'll be able to find out in a day or two. Same friend is loaning me a PSU to test.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
only if for 2021 Toyota added a turbo 4 cylinder with a better radiator and exhaust plus adding other modern features vs the previous basic non-turbo 2020 version.

of course you would expect better performance.
the funny thing is i've actually gotten worse performance in some games, like overwatch, csgo, and valorant. Also i have next to zero knowledge on cars, so while i assume all these comparisons are accurate, they fly over my head.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
only if for 2021 Toyota added a turbo 4 cylinder with a better radiator and exhaust plus adding other modern features vs the previous basic non-turbo 2020 version.

of course you would expect better performance.
There isn't much difference between 6700 xt and a 5700 xt in performance(this is on perfect bench mark machines with clean Windows installs and top CPUs to avoid CPU bottlenecks), and the guy is already CPU limited with the 2700x. We also still don't know what resolution this guy is gaming at despite several people bringing it up.

SushiDoughnut

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
There isn't much difference between 6700 xt and a 5700 xt in performance(this is on perfect bench mark machines with clean Windows installs and top CPUs to avoid CPU bottlenecks), and the guy is already CPU limited with the 2700x. We also still don't know what resolution this guy is gaming at despite several people bringing it up.
I've stated that I'm on 1080p

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
the funny thing is i've actually gotten worse performance in some games, like overwatch, csgo, and valorant. Also i have next to zero knowledge on cars, so while i assume all these comparisons are accurate, they fly over my head.
Hahahah no worries 😉. Worse performance is especially frustrating.
I've stated that I'm on 1080p
Yeah looked for it everywhere, but couldn't find it. This is gonna sound weird, buy try playing at 1440p you can upscale with your current monitor or if your friend has a native 1440p monitor you can try that as well. The idea is to make the card work harder and if there is any difference in FPS/performance.