Discussion 6800 XT stuttering problems

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
HI,this is not my first time posting,in fact i have this setup for two years now, and ever since i can remember i experience this weird stuttering problem in EVERY GAME I PLAY!!!
It manifests as a big frametime spike that freezes the screen for a split second, feeling like a "hiccup"during gameplay. 95% of the time everything is smooth and then bam: the big stutter happens, returning then to the smooth gameplay until the next stutter,almost in a cyclical pattern. I am not sure if i am just too sensitive or not but this hiccup totally breaks the immersion and its very annoying.

So here i am asking your help once more to identify the root cause of this stuttering so that i can fully enjoy my gaming pc. Thank you

SPECS:
CPU- ryzen 5 5600
MOBO- msi b550 gaming edge wifi (BIos version: American Megatrends International,LLC.1.F0,11/10/2023)
RAM- crucial ballistix 2x8 GB 3600Mhz.
GPU- xfx merc 319 6800 XT
PSU- corsair rm850x 2021, 850 W
CPU Cooler- arctic liquid freezer II 280 argb
Case- Phanteks eclipse p500a
Monitor- LG 27gn800-b

i have already clean installed windows and updated mobo bios, with cmos reset, the issue still maintains before and after

i am using PBO2 with -30 tics on all 6 cores with a max cpu boost of 200mhz ( i have done plenty corecycler runs and other stress and stability tests and all passed, so i am pretty sure i am stable, the single only test that i had issues was occt on extreme preset mode) before using pbo2 i still had stuttters; boost frequency now goes up to 4600Mhz

I also undervolted and overclocked my gpu, before this i also had the stutters., here are the settings:

i also have videos demosntrating the problem, if it it can help you better understand the issue. it's when the big framtime spikes happen in the graph on the left side of the video;

The witcher 3 video, it crashed on the first attempt to record, which meant i was not stable, so the the video i captured of w3 is in default gpu settings, and like i expected the issue still persists.

I am using capframex to monitor my stats:

the games i play are all unreal engine 4 ( jump force/one piece pirate warrios 4/etc)

If you need more information, do ask.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your drive configuration for OS and games and how full? Ssd with OS on it should have at least 100GB free but that's if pagefile is restricted.

Couple things to try / meddle with. Pagefile, try set initial 1gb and 2gb max. Windows self managed pagefile can grow quite a bit overtime, might help.

The other thing may be smart access memory (SAM aka ReBar) related, can disable in Adrenaline and Bios. Reboot Windows if you disable only in Adrenaline.

Reactions: PauloSilva93

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
What's your drive configuration for OS and games and how full? Ssd with OS on it should have at least 100GB free but that's if pagefile is restricted.

Couple things to try / meddle with. Pagefile, try set initial 1gb and 2gb max. Windows self managed pagefile can grow quite a bit overtime, might help.

The other thing may be smart access memory (SAM aka ReBar) related, can disable in Adrenaline and Bios. Reboot Windows if you disable only in Adrenaline.
i am on windows 11, my ssd is about half full, it has around 600 gb of open space. i'm going to try those and report back . games are in the same drive as OS, again a kioxia exceria 1G nvme ssd

won´t i lose considerable performance if i disable samrt access memory? i am starting to doubt amd products...

thanks for the help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sam should benefit most of the time but some have experienced stutters with it. Depends on the game i guess, Amd chipset driver (latest from Amd.com - search your chipset ie b550 chipset driver, and you'll see the listing), and graphics driver / Bios firmware etc. Won't lose much if it is the cause.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
Sam should benefit most of the time but some have experienced stutters with it. Depends on the game i guess, Amd chipset driver (latest from Amd.com - search your chipset ie b550 chipset driver, and you'll see the listing), and graphics driver / Bios firmware etc. Won't lose much if it is the cause.
sorry i didn´t get the last part, english isn´t my main language. what about amd chipset\graphics\bios firmware, do you want me to update them? i am already up to date, at least thats what adrenaline software says

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Those were just a few suggestions to try if sam or something else hardware wise may be causing issues.

hi, just reporting back that disabling sam didn´t work( on bios and adrenaline software), i still have those pesky stutters, where the screen freezes. any thoughts?

Check task manager like i suggested here, they found a process that was consuming cpu. Maybe you can find something.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...0-minutes-in-all-games.3847311/#post-23283808

Jun 19, 2024
Hello, I just made a post with the same problem except that unlike you I have an rx 5700 xt and a ryzen 5 5600g, is it safe to disable the TPM using Windows 11? I don't know what else to try, but I understand that this is necessary for Windows, right?

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
Adrenaline doesn't tell you if chipset drivers are up to date. You can find them here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b550.html

You're running a legit copy of Windows 11? Nothing like Tiny 11 or such?

Have you ran memory test using memtest? RAM module problems can cause all sorts of weird errors.
i think its legit, i bought the key from one of those key sellers online. is there an issue?
i haven´t run memtest yet. I have some hwinfo64 logs of gameplay, do you think that would be helpful? i don´t know how to interpret them

DS426

Great
May 15, 2024
Kind of gray market but if the key activates Windows and you grabbed the installation files from an official source, i.e. Microsoft, that should be fine.

I'm not really up on hwinfo64. AMD Adrenaline actually captures microstutter now natively (I have the Adrenaline metrics overlay enabled with that showing in real-time, though logs are key for 3rd parties to look at), which might be of value to XFX as I segway onto that: you might open a support case with XFX to see what logs they want to collect, troubleshooting steps, etc.

Did you buy that GPU new? And don't forget the chipset drivers -- could you confirm on whether you installed the latest ones or not?

Lastly, MSI is showing the latest BIOS for your motherboard as dated on 2024-03-22 while yours is showing as I believe 2023-10-11:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
hi again, just here to update on the situation, i reverted the uv/oc and the stuttering went away for the most part. Might that be the culprit? i am no longer getting those cyclical hiccups, and now they are very sporadic, and i hardly notice them. is that normal?

thank you so much for the helpful inputs

Reactions: DS426

DS426

Great
May 15, 2024
Thank you for the update. UV/OC can certainly exacerbate any underlying hardware or software problems. Is this a new or used GPU, by the way?

Let us know if (when) you find out at some point what finally resolves the stuttering completely.