6950 overclock limit?

The Dimak

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hey guys, I recently bought a dual-fan HD6950 2GB, and since it's not a reference model, I thought I could make up for my inability to upgrade it to a 6970 by overclocking it. Problem is, AMD's Overdrive will only let me overclock the GPU up to only 840 MHz and the memory only up to 1325 MHz.

Is it possible to overclock it any further, and if it is, what software should I use? Seeing that this is a dual-fan model, I think it could handle a bit more.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi Dimak,

This limit is built in to AMD's cards to prevent people who don't know what they are doing from burning up their cards.

The first step to getting a higher overclock is to install a proper overclocking utility. I suggest MSI Afterburner:

event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Once Afterburner is installed, you will have to enable "unofficial overclocking"
This is how:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

Also, make sure you adjust your "Power Control Settings" slider in CCC all the way to the right. If you skip this step, the drivers will throttle the card to decrease power use.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have more questions.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi Dimak,

This limit is built in to AMD's cards to prevent people who don't know what they are doing from burning up their cards.

The first step to getting a higher overclock is to install a proper overclocking utility. I suggest MSI Afterburner:

event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Once Afterburner is installed, you will have to enable "unofficial overclocking"
This is how:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

Also, make sure you adjust your "Power Control Settings" slider in CCC all the way to the right. If you skip this step, the drivers will throttle the card to decrease power use.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have more questions.

Solution

+1 on msi afterburner

The Dimak

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

Thank you, I'll be sure to try that.