Question Help with motherboard usb header damage

Jul 26, 2024
Help with motherboard damage.

I bought a prebuilt pc last year and had to send the pc back for a repair earlier this year because I was having USB issues like intermittent connections and disconnects. My pc case is HYTE Y60 and they instructed me to use expanding foam behind the gpu.

Once the pc got to them, they reported physical damage on the US header of the motherboard (Asus prime x670-p wifi). The plastic around the header Is ripped off and the pins look bent at an angle. They blamed it on me incorrectly packaging the outer foam around the case and I had to pay them £200.

Here is the link to the images: View: https://imgur.com/a/5iIXXJE

One showcases the PC before the incident (the arrow was an edit by their support team indicating the position to place the expanding foam in). The second shows how the PC supposedly arrived to them in the box and third shows the actual damage.

What I think happened is that the header probably got damaged by the expanding foam since it would have made direct contact with that header. I can't think of another way. There is no way that could have been caused had the expanding foam was not there, even with ripped outer foams. They were the one who told me to use the expanding foam this way .

Anyways, can people please confirm if I am being ignorant or is it actually possible they are fooling me? Really need some advice.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Anyways, can people please confirm if I am being ignorant or is it actually possible they are fooling me? Really need some advice.
Based on the 3rd pic, the USB 3.0 cable was pulled hard downwards, thus bending the pins, ripping it from the socket and actually breaking the plastic connector as well.

Expanding foam does not have so much power to cause such damage. Since if it would have such power, the GPU would be forced out of the PCI-E riser connector as well, splitting the connector apart as well.

After all, expanding foam is commonly used inside the PCs when shipping them. IF there would be issue it forcefully damaging sensitive electronics, it wouldn't be used inside the PC at all.

and I had to pay them £200.
~200 quid gets you new MoBo,
pcpp: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-p-wifi-atx-am5-motherboard-prime-x670-p-wifi