jathor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
hey guys, I had a question for all of you who have the msi r6970 lightning, I feel like the temps were starting to rise from when i first got it so pulled it out, wanted to clean it but nothing there so i changed the TIM (to some ic diamond) and reinstalled the card, still seems that it is running hot, in furmark i hit 95c after only a few minutes and shut it down cuz honnestly i started to get scarred :S and now i dont know what to do, before furmark never went past 85c and took a while to get there (burn in, post fx, 8x aa, extreme burn in, 1920*1080). i know i replaced the tim well, and did it a second time just to be sure but same result.

what are you guys getting in your furmark tests on thins card?

btw, my case is the silverstone raven rv03, fans set to high and i also have 2 extra fans in there, one in the front bottom and the other in the back, they are scythe kaze jyuinoriyueoiyutero (however you write that) at 1900 rpm.

it would really help if someone could help. thank you all

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have Sapphire reference 6970s, so I doubt I could be of much help.

For now, you might want to try lowering the clocks and voltage. It would be a shame for you to have to do that with the r6970 lighting, but you might want to go ahead and do that until you figure it out. At least you will be playing.

You should be getting about 70 degrees at reference. I get about 75 degrees with a core clock of 940 and at stock voltage.

Even for what you have, 95 degrees is just too much. Cooking, even.

jathor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
yeah sorry i forgot to mention, i already lowered it to stock speeds and voltage, and i had only overvolted a little (guess it was a good chip i got until now)...it works at these settings but still quite hot for what it is, i will be sending it in to rma in a month or so but i hoped i can solve it at home. i dont want to be without it cuz my backup card is a 5450........ :S and Starcraft II runs at low on that....so imagine bf3 (will not run) and all the other games !!!!!!

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I don't really recommend doing this but, my 4870 a long time ago used to run super super hot, to the point it would artifact and then shut down my pc. One day, a year later, I decided to loosen the screws holding in the heatsink and then tighten them back up not quite as tight. My temps dropped by about 35 degrees C on average. No idea why, but it happened.

jathor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
i guess i will try that, i dont really have another option, i did, however tighten them a lot when i changed the Thermal paste, so i will let you guys know, probably will do it this weekend and post a follow up

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

Woah, woah, maybe I missed something. Did it overheat before you put on thermal paste?

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Ah, I was gonna say it might have been that, but nevermind then. I guess try the method I said but be careful. If that doesn't work, I don't know. It might be a faulty card.

Try to find out the temp max for that card. It might say in an OC program or in GPU-Z. My card has gotten to 100c before and it's a little scary but nothing happened. However, it depends on the card. My old card used to artifact at 90c. But even if it did work at those temps, I'd be a little leery of longterm use.

jathor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
yeah, i saw in numerous reviews and benchmarks that running furmark it doesnt go over 80 and during gameplay around 65, mine are over 95 in furmark and in the 80s during gameplay. i want it to last cuz its still an awesome card and it is a shame to go to waste