6x1GB vs. 3x2GB DDR3

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Im currently running 32bit XP with 3x1GB of DDR3 on an i7 rig and want to upgrade to 64 BIt Vista in the future. Should I sell my 3x1GB kit and buy a 3x2GB kit or can I just get another 3x1 kit to add to my current setup.

Not unless you can get your money back. If you have 3 more memory slots, I would wait and let the ddr3 prices fall a bit more. I've seen 4 gigs for $62 after rebate, and 6 gigs for $112 at ewiz.

Either should work. If it is not much more expensive, a 6gb(3x2gb) kit is better.
1) You are assured of a matched set of ram. It is unknown how well i7 will respond to mismatched ram. The same part numbers can have different build components.
2) You preserve the option to go to 12gb.
3) Using 6 slots may impact your ability to overclock, like it does on 775 mogherboards.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Also consider that the 2GB modules use the same voltage. Doubling the sticks of RAM you have also doubles the amount of power you use on memory, if that matters to you. Having them so close together could create a few minor heat issues as well. And lastly, having 6 sticks of RAM doubles your chances of memory error, not that RAM is a big cause for concern however.

It's up to you, but I'm in favor of 3x2GB RAM if you can do it.