7 MHZ running with windows xp!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Quiksilver-1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
The slowest Pentium ran about 60 MHz. Even the 386 ran faster than 7 MHz. You gotta get down to the 286 or 8088 range to get down to 7 MHz.

He is 100% correct, that link is bullshit due the fact its nothing but a bunch of photoshop work.

The slowest Pentium was 60Mhz and was 273 Pins.

Now if if go back quite abit.
Now the slowest processor intel ever made of 740Khz C4004 made for calculators.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Impressive, yes if it's true. I have to agree with prozac26 and go with the Photoshop theory. Pointless: hell yeah! Who wants to wait 30 minutes for a machine to boot then do nothing with it? Hell, even running Solitaire on that machine would crash it.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
20 gig ram, thats nothing i have 40 gigs of ram on mine, and i have also overclocked my printer i know get 480 ppm the paper shoots out so fast i get paper cuts if i try to catch them.

i'm wondering myself if it real screenshot or not the text even when enlarged is all messed up i mean the 7 can be there but some other number might be missing case its all messwed up. if I see a better screenshot I may beleve it

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Pentiums never was at 7mhz, a 286 ran at 12mhz. I have ran windows xp pro on my old Pentium 100mhz 96 megs of ram from 1995 and it ran fine. Windows Media Player also worked with mp3s but i couldnt have visualations or equlizer on. Windows XP will thereticly run on a 486. the only differance between a 386/486 and a Pentium 4 is the math/multi-media instruction sets and speed of course. The image looks like it was on a very very old gfx card. I have an old ISA 128k VGA card and thats what it will look like at 640x400 at 4 bit color depth.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The slowest Pentium ran about 60 MHz. Even the 386 ran faster than 7 MHz. You gotta get down to the 286 or 8088 range to get down to 7 MHz.

He is 100% correct, that link is bullshit due the fact its nothing but a bunch of photoshop work.

The slowest Pentium was 60Mhz and was 273 Pins.

Now if if go back quite abit.
Now the slowest processor intel ever made of 740Khz C4004 made for calculators.

They have underclocked it

mpjesse

Splendid
If you look at the frikin motherboard you'll quickly discover he's using either a 486 or a Pentium. The packaging is consistent with those two CPU's and he has a small fan on it. 286's and 386's (even low end 486's) didn't even require heatsinks for cooling. It's obvious that he is underclocking a 486DX-100 or a Pentium 75/100.

-mpjesse

Did you even read the link? Ever heard of underclocking?

There is no reason to think the artical is fake, although I wonder how they got XP to run with only 20Mb of RAM? Even in safe mode on a clean install it would surely need more than that?

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
and i have also overclocked my printer i know get 480 ppm the paper shoots out so fast i get paper cuts if i try to catch them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That takes all of the cake (actually only the rest, coz I ate the biggest part the other day)!!

Isn't that what clues do at Thanksgiving? Now let's see, if this turkey takes 4 hours at 350 degrees, then I'll just crank it up to 450 and it'll only take 3 hours.
Ya... thats what I did wif my turkey till I smoked it to hell n back

@topic:
7 MHz is actually pretty nice considering that XP even recognized hardware older than 5 mins...

cedric

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
:twisted: only shit ,we people r serious people.THIS IS A CRAP PROJECT.if it is possible then it can help to offer acess to the computer in underdeveloped countries.

Donovan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
personally, i really don't care about XP on such a slow machine; however, i am curious how long it would take to install/compile gentoo on such a machine. my bet is that the install CD wouldn't boot into the shell. that being said, i installed FreeBSD on a 133 MHz with 128 MB of RAM. made myself a fine gateway that was significantly more useful than ANY machine running XP. :D