Question 7 years old MSI GTX 760 - No signal

Vox

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
My MSI GTX 760 is still receiving power as the fans are working perfectly and everything seems to be good as before but it does not give signal to the monitor anymore.

• I've tried every single display connector it has ( 2x DVI-D, HDMI, DP) and when my Acer monitor is checking the source types it suddenly goes black at the actual type in work and displays "No Signal" in the middle of the screen.
  • I've replaced my mobo as I thought it has some failure on CPU socket but the new one didn't bring back the display signal. (At least, the 2nd ram module is now working again).
  • I've replaced my PSU as well for an EVGA 600W just in case, no change.
  • I've reseated the card dozens of time, made sure the power cord is in place.
  • I've cleaned the card but I didn't disassemble it yet. I don't have advanced electric skills but I think I could clean the old GPU grease and give it some new if that matters?
  • I haven't tried the card in another PC yet.
  • The same failure happened to me a half year ago too but I was able to fix it by cleaning with a dust remover and reseating.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Vox

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Ok, I replaced the thermal paste on the GPU and cleaned the card but still no signal.

I heard somewhere that there may be a workaround if the GPU is not dead: to set up the UEFI to use the card's GPU but the signal goes out through the motherboard's VGA outlet. Is that possible anyway?

julian_mustofa

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
My MSI GTX 760 is still receiving power as the fans are working perfectly and everything seems to be good as before but it does not give signal to the monitor anymore.

• I've tried every single display connector it has ( 2x DVI-D, HDMI, DP) and when my Acer monitor is checking the source types it suddenly goes black at the actual type in work and displays "No Signal" in the middle of the screen.
  • I've replaced my mobo as I thought it has some failure on CPU socket but the new one didn't bring back the display signal. (At least, the 2nd ram module is now working again).
  • I've replaced my PSU as well for an EVGA 600W just in case, no change.
  • I've reseated the card dozens of time, made sure the power cord is in place.
  • I've cleaned the card but I didn't disassemble it yet. I don't have advanced electric skills but I think I could clean the old GPU grease and give it some new if that matters?
  • I haven't tried the card in another PC yet.
  • The same failure happened to me a half year ago too but I was able to fix it by cleaning with a dust remover and reseating.
What do you think?

Your best way to determine that gpu chip still alive is use your integrated gpu
Set it in bios. And connect your monitor to that IGPU
Boot windows and look at device manager wether gpu chip was detected there

i assume your vrm still ok since the fan spinning

But its good idea to check shorted circuit before you do that if you have a multimeter

Vox

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Ok, so the Device Manager doesn't show the graphic card only the IGPU. I've tried couple of stuff to make it visible but nothing.

• I read somewhere that the tool called DDU can help on this so if I run the deep driver uninstaller the Device manager may show the GPU again as a generic display adapter but for me this didn't work either.. No sign of my GPU. Fans are still spinning.
  • I've checked my memory modules with Memtest86 default set as I heard faulty RAM could do this too but sadly zero error came up.

Do you have any other tip?