74% of Enterprise PCs Are Still Running Win XP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Most of you have no idea what it takes to make the move. I am a Senior System Admin in an Enterprise Co with over 200,000 PC's and over 500,000 employee and have been at my job for over 10yrs. You can pretty much guess where I may be employeed at. There's only a handful of Company that size. That out of the way...

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Of course it does. Because most enterprise applications don't work under Vista or Seven. The backwards compatibility is horrendous. It will be a looooong time before most enterprise customers abandon XP. Where I work, we're slowly phasing out all our Windows servers, in favor of more cost effective Linux and UNIX solutions. I imagine its only a matter of time before we start looking at doing the same with the desktops as well. Desktop Linux or OSX makes a LOT of sense when all your servers are running Linux or UNIX too...[/citation]

This is true but where you went wrong is Linux and OSx Desktop DOES NOT MAKE sense. Retraining your daily Windows user to use Linux let alone Mac OSx, then purchasing software and rewriting programs from windows to or for Linux and OSx, purchasing over priced Apple products, are not cost effective. Another reason Mac OSX is a sin and or taboo if you even dare mention it in the enterprise world is because of security. Simply put, for standard consumers Mac OSX may be good but in an Enterprise where security can be compromised every second with millions at stake is not a joke.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]There are major companies still using Windows 2000. Most IT departments are very conservative with software procurement and in the current economic climate don't expect major expenditures.IE6 must die but a lot of enterprises have reduced staff and don't have the developers available to retool badly-written legacy applications. Hopefully they learn from this and in the future follow proper HTML standards and avoid garbage like ActiveX.[/citation]

Very well stated. Regardless of how crappy ActiveX is, it has been adopted in the enterprise world and many Enterprise Intranet sites use it already. This is one hurdle that will be hard to get over.

[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Sad in a way. There is no real reason to use XP and microsoft office 2003 when you got Unbutu and Open Office.[/citation]
Here we go again with this argument. Lets say I give you a position in an enterprise and you control this, you want to make this change, go and tell your Boss you'll need to spend 40 million dollars to make this change. I wonder how your boss will react. You are saying how's the change going to be 40 million even though Linux and Open office is free? lets see....100,000 employee's {times} 8 hours training {times} $15 average pay for employee = 12 Million. And I am being very light on the training hours let alone the pay especially when you add upper managment who make six figures in there and that 12 million will look like a drop on the bucket. So far its just the training aspect. What about the software migration? New database development, etc....list goes on. When all said and done, for something that is free such as linux and open office you already spent probably close to 50 million or even more. This is the enterprise world.

[citation][nom]scifi9000[/nom]I haven't worked in the IT sector for 2 years but I was involved in creating an operating environmnet to migrate from W2K to XP. That was a much bigger headache than anticipated mostly because of legacy programs and periferals. We still had machines interfacing with devices using RS232 ports.. and not just a few. You have to realise how much flow on effect there is when deciding to upgrade your standard operating environmnet. It is far from easy and sometimes, impossible, well, not without literally millions in interface upgrades (if available).[/citation]

Well stated and is a good point but I must say, its just barely scratching the surface as to why, on the enterprise level, things have not changed much.

In closing:
Most of you do not realize the money, size, and business impact such decisions can make. Until YOU really actually work for and on a daily basis deal with hundreds of thousands of users, PC's, Servers, etc you will never truly know. But it all comes down to one main focus and that main focus is money. For a 600 employee company to spend only 1 million for that upgrade or migration is nothing. Multiply that compnay by 100 folds and things look differently. Many of the comments hit the nail on the head and hopefully you people understand the enterprise IT world a bit better.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Hmmm recoding your software, buying new hardware, and retraining your staff. How is that any different from migrating to Windows 7?[/citation]

That was my point - large corporations are not going to willingly do it for Win 7, and surely not for Linux.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Where I work, we've been slowly rolling out Win 7 on machines as they're replaced. We have almost 1,100 computers, ranging from Dell Optiplex 240's all the way up to loaded 780's. For the time being, as departments buy new machines (normally 780's) a select few are being imaged with Win 7 as a testbed and so far, having good results. The only issue we've seen is certain websites don't like IE8 (surprise surprise) so we've included Firefox in the image to handle that. As far as a company-wide deploy of Win 7, we're holding off, and even if we do, it will be limited to only somewhat-modern hardware (e.g. most likely only Opti 620's with 2gb or better ram). And the funny thing is, that as soon as most companies realize that a tuned install of Win 7 with adequate hardware will run just as fast if not better than the same hardware running XP, you'll see these statistics flip in no time at all.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
News flash: people are not made of money. Maybe they also don't want to deal with the hassel of changing their operating system for no reason. If windows XP can already do everything a person needs their computer to do, why upgrade? It just takes time and money for no real gains. I'm not saying that this is true for everybody, but I think that it is not suprising that not everybody jumped at the opportunity to get windows 7. I bought windows vista when I first bought my computer. Despite vista's reputation, I have had almost no problems with it. I see no reason to upgrade my OS at the moment. Vista can already do pretty much everything that 7 can do. (Like DX10, DX11, etc)

Wolvan

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I just got a new work laptop in May. Went from Windows 2000 TO Windows XP. Woot. Course I still run WinXP at home on my game computer too. Keep meaning to upgrade to Win7, just haven't gotten around to it.

Wolvan

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I just got a new work laptop in May. Went from Windows 2000 TO Windows XP. Woot. Course I still run WinXP at home on my game computer too. Keep meaning to upgrade to Win7, just haven't gotten around to it.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Businesses are cheep and want to save money...

For most of them it's not about upgrading to 7... it's to replace all them Pentium4's still in circulation... and as long as the Pentium4's are still running IE6 + Email + Excel with their 512 to 1gig ram.... Why spend more money ?

1000$ per computer isn't cheep when what they have is still doing a fair job.

dgingeri

Distinguished
only 74%? That's lower than I would guess, and I'm a computer support tech, so I see a lot of computers at a lot of companies.

no sane IT manager would approve moving to Vista. That's for certain. Windows 7 is too new to really tell. So there must be a lot of Windows 2000 machines out there.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
wow...got rated down in my previous post. Probably too long :D or my knock on Linux and OSX Desktop workstations. *sigh*....

Why do you think Linux and OSX Desktops, for as long as they have been around, have not made to the Enterprise world???????

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]wow...got rated down in my previous post. Probably too long or my knock on Linux and OSX Desktop workstations. *sigh*....Why do you think Linux and OSX Desktops, for as long as they have been around, have not made to the Enterprise world???????[/citation]

that's easy: management and cost.

First off, it costs more to support both platforms as a general use desktop OS. The difference in cost, about 30%, is enough to make it less costly to run Windows, especially Windows XP. (Older versions of Windows had more problems, so it took more people to support it. Vista has more problems than XP, so it costs more too. Windows 7 has fewer problems and more longevity, but tech with Windows 7 skills also cost more to hire.) It just costs less to use Windows XP and hire 5 techs at $15 an hour rather than use Linux and use 4 techs at $25 an hour.

Also, neither alternative platform can really be centrally managed. Sure, you can add both to an AD domain, or even have their own style domains, but IT can't manage things like software than is force installed or prevented from running, password policies, disabling CD writing and USB flash drives, security settings, local admin account name and password, etc. These things can be centrally managed in Windows. (If you notice your Windows XP corporate system while it boots up, it likely takes a little while during the "applying computer settings" phase. these are the group policy security settings. other OSs take shorter to boot, but they don't have the advantage of putting in these security settings.) This central management feature in Windows can make a huge difference in the security of the network, both keeping bad software out and keeping company data in. In OSX and Linux, what is there for central management can be hacked around fairly easily. With Windows, it would have to be hacked every time the computer is attached to the network, and takes quite a bit of effort.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]that's easy: management and cost. First off, it costs more to support both platforms as a general use desktop OS. The difference in cost, about 30%, is enough to make it less costly to run Windows, especially Windows XP. (Older versions of Windows had more problems, so it took more people to support it. Vista has more problems than XP, so it costs more too. Windows 7 has fewer problems and more longevity, but tech with Windows 7 skills also cost more to hire.) It just costs less to use Windows XP and hire 5 techs at $15 an hour rather than use Linux and use 4 techs at $25 an hour. Also, neither alternative platform can really be centrally managed. Sure, you can add both to an AD domain, or even have their own style domains, but IT can't manage things like software than is force installed or prevented from running, password policies, disabling CD writing and USB flash drives, security settings, local admin account name and password, etc. These things can be centrally managed in Windows. (If you notice your Windows XP corporate system while it boots up, it likely takes a little while during the "applying computer settings" phase. these are the group policy security settings. other OSs take shorter to boot, but they don't have the advantage of putting in these security settings.) This central management feature in Windows can make a huge difference in the security of the network, both keeping bad software out and keeping company data in. In OSX and Linux, what is there for central management can be hacked around fairly easily. With Windows, it would have to be hacked every time the computer is attached to the network, and takes quite a bit of effort.[/citation]

Correct you are sir. I was just asking to see if the person who rated me down because of my knock on Linux and OSX would know the reason. Again, it all boils down to money.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Pedro E Corral[/nom]WINDOWS XP WORKS, AND IT WORKS VERY WELL![/citation]

Well...For being patched, implemented, and supported for a decade, I would hope so.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
We could go on and on and on...for ever about the pros of Windows Environment over Linux/OSX and so forth and it will never end. I also was trying to be brief since my original post was long already.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Correct you are sir. I was just asking to see if the person who rated me down because of my knock on Linux and OSX would know the reason. Again, it all boils down to money.[/citation]

That wasn't directed specifically at you. I was just clarifying your comments.

(Although, someone may have downrated you just from your username. It's not exactly complimentary.)

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
General census is that no I.T. house will even bother with the proposal to upgrade until the 2nd service pack is out. Plus the requirements for Windows 7 server are much higher then 2003. More money = more costs = less change of upgrading.

If it isn't broken, you dont need to fix it. That goes to everyone in the process of upgrading and it goes to MS....

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@dgingeri and r3t4rd
Thanks for this insight of the enterprise world.

I do support for a couple of small companies and even there, too often upgrading to win7 would be too costy and time consuming... and pointless. There are still >30 000$ oxygene/plasma cutters running NT4 and there's no way to upgrade the whole vendor specific hardware to support win7, and I'm pretty sure I won't see one anytime soon.

There are also automated cutters with RS232 interface that require some really cheezy win 98 software to control them. Too often, the company that made the software died a long time ago so the whole cutter would need to be replaced.

Yep, this is the enterprise world: working don't fix.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]only 74%? That's lower than I would guess, and I'm a computer support tech, so I see a lot of computers at a lot of companies. no sane IT manager would approve moving to Vista. That's for certain. Windows 7 is too new to really tell. So there must be a lot of Windows 2000 machines out there.[/citation]

Agreed. There's no way 26% of businesses today are running Windows Vista (lol) or Win7. They must be running win2k. I'd say

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]wow...got rated down in my previous post. Probably too long or my knock on Linux and OSX Desktop workstations. *sigh*....Why do you think Linux and OSX Desktops, for as long as they have been around, have not made to the Enterprise world???????[/citation]
I think the old adage is still true: "linux is only free if your time is worthless"
training is EXPENSIVE. Those who use a mac or *nix box with ease dont realize what a hassle it is to try and re-train windows users on something else, when windows is all they have known.

The other barrier is the hardware. The 'old' P4 with 512-1gb of ram still work just fine for office apps. Why spend $1,000 + m$ licensing fees per PC, and time for the IT guy to set it up + time for deploying the new stuff ........ when the existing P4 with HT still works.

Then you add in LOST productivity while everyone in the company is installing their own custom utilities, setting up own windows. Then you have the long time of Lowered productivity while people get used to the new software and new utilities.

Id love to have my company upgrade their PCs and move to a new OS. but our existing HP boxes running XP work just fine.

Keeping up with technology is good - but killing company-wide productivity bad.

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Even for someone at home, the cost to upgrade to 7 can be substantial. I just ran the Windows 7 compatibility test, and among some other hardware and software that was not going to work it said that I would need a paid upgrade to Microsoft Office Small Business! Their own programs won't even run on 7. Try running the test and see for yourself.

G

Heck, I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw at a local supermarket they ran a program in Windows 3.11 for the cash register!!!

the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies here very much!

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
there is a big difference between retail consumers and business consumers . they are very aware of the return on any new investment . switching to windows 7 , or for that matter , even windows 8 depends on this .

A big problem with linux is that the current people grew up on windows ! IT depts will adopt linux heavily when the ubuntu generation moves into offices , cause many of them will have familiarity with it . some things make sense only in the longer run .

Switching from windows to linux from existing infrastructure is simply painful compared to any cost saved .

a big factor of business tech adoption is home tech environment , unless you are a tech company yourself .

Status
Not open for further replies.