74% of Enterprise PCs Are Still Running Win XP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Correct you are sir. I was just asking to see if the person who rated me down because of my knock on Linux and OSX would know the reason. Again, it all boils down to money.[/citation]

Everything boils down to money unless there is something else , which is rare .

pearl298

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Except for the fact that 95+% of the software on the market will not run under Linux, few Tier 1 OEM's supply Linux boxes, then there's he cost of training people on a new system, etc...[/citation]

That has not been our experience since we switched to Ubuntu two years ago!

We have found replacements or a way to run under compatibility mode (e.g. Wine) for every single app except for Quickbooks 2010. That we run under XP using VirtualBox.

We switched when changing to Vista proved to be a huge hassle, both SUSE Linux and Ubuntu proved far easier for users and IT people!

Win 7 looks better, but still have far to much "eye-candy" to be really useful on older machines.

Oh yes we are still using the old 2K and XP hardware and are upgrading on OUR schedule not Microsoft's!

pearl298

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]kittle[/nom]I think the old adage is still true: "linux is only free if your time is worthless"training is EXPENSIVE. Those who use a mac or *nix box with ease dont realize what a hassle it is to try and re-train windows users on something else, when windows is all they have known.The other barrier is the hardware. [/citation]

Once again that has NOT been our experience. We stuck with XP until buying a couple of new machines forced us to re-examine the situation.

The ONE Vista machine was a huge hassle for both users and support staff. The second machine was purchased with NO OS license and we installed SUSE Linux with paid support.

WOW we actually got questions answered in real English complete with pointers to tutorials for the users. It ended up with about 50% of the "transition" cost (including paid support) of the Vista machine.

A couple of users then tried Ubuntu using Ubuntu's "Windows Migration" tutorial and essentially NO training support from IT!

Within 6 months everyone had switched to Ubuntu, although the Vista user still uses Vista 80% of the time (she can dual boot either Ubuntu or Vista). Claims she "prefers Vista" now ...

Sigh.

G

For those who wonder, old hardware like my Dell Dimension 2350 (2ghz Celeron) will run Windows 7 quite nicely, provided that the video card is updated ($40) and RAM is adequate (1gb -- $40). The video card upgrade is necessary anyways to use such hardware with modern LCD monitors at full resolution.

The company I work for has hundreds of PC's that run XP pro and we are not upgrading to any other OS anytime soon. The $$ needed for such task is not worth it since all our programs run 100% under XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.