christee6

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
so my laptop is a toshiba a665-06f (canadian model) which i bought from future shop, here is a link to the laptop specs
http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/productcontents/satellite/PSAW3C-06F017.htm

since i bought the thing it was always hot, sometimes it would shut down randomly (which now i knwo is because it was over heating) didnt think much of it but then when some games would drop fps to unplayable rates i got looking at it a little closer and ran some temperature tests and i was extremly surprised/worried at what i have seen. I have also been using a laptop cooler that has 2 fans on it but that doesnt do hardly anything at all. I am going to post the pics from Speedfan so you guys can see what im talking about

this first picture is about 2 minutes after the laptop has fully booted up,this is a fresh boot and no programs running (the laptop had been sitting off overnight)

in this picture you can see that after 5 minutes with nothing but speedfan running the temps have exceded 50C

i have in the past just through normal use and gaming seen the temperatures in the 90c+ range and so i decided to run a stress test and sure enough the temps broke 90c, i used prime 95 as the stress tester. picture 1 is about 30 seconds into the test, picture 2 is after about 10 minutes and picture 3 is a chart showing the temperature rise and fluctuations over time

this has been a problem since i bought this thing about 6 months ago, i have since updated the bios and all the drivers to current versions and nothing has helped, im starting to wish i never bought this because at these temperatures it impossible to game, the processor will underclock itself to .9ghz i have seen it there many times and most games become unplayable even at lowest settings.

if you think you have a solution please help im all ears, i wonder if i could make them take it back saying its a fire hazard lol i have seen the temp over 100c before, would this have been damaged my laptop?

christee6

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
well i just had the laptop in pieces, board and gave the fan a good cleaning, wasnt very dirty, i could have done that while it was apart, maybe ill give it a shot another day. if you look at picture #5 you can see that once the tempts hit 97c they dropped fairly quickly, which im assuming means my fan kicked in? is there a way for me to change the fan settings? i wouldnt mind if it ran at 100% all the time, of if i had a program where i could manually override it... anyone know of anythign liek this besides speedfan, cause speedfan doesnt recognise it, i havent seen any settings for it in bios either

did you take out the cpu hsf as well?
if yes, then did you clean up residues of previous thermal compund and reapply new thermal compound?

christee6

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
no, basically all i did was took the all the pieces out of the case, took the board out and blew all the dust out and gave the fan a good cleaning, i dont have any thermal paste, but i need to get some for my desktop im building so when i do that i will take it apart again and reapply the paste kinda doubt its going to do much though, few degrees at max i would think? anyone know how i can change the temperature control for the fan?

pkhuai

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hello there,

I have the same laptop and just wondering if you have CPU fan input?
because on mine it is just completely blocked by the plastic.
IMG_1508.JPG

does yours look like that??