7700k overclocking and no performance gains

bingo-993

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
i used to own a 6600k that i overcocked to 4.6 and i really did notice some difference in gaming performance that is worth the heat which was not that much heat really, but with the 7700k i noticed no difference at all from 4.5 and 4.3 cache > to 4.7 and 4.6 cache ! all i noticed was way too much heat and more rpms on the fans and a loud system and dropping the fans for more silence will make it worse too.
i really dont know if something is wrong or that 4.5 is enough and powerful already for any game?
sometimes i say i bought a K version why not overclock the damn thing to its max! should i delid? or even on higher than 4.7 i wont notice that huge difference?

Solution
At 1440p you are more GPU limited and increasing CPU speeds will gain little to nothing.

Even at 1080p I went from 4.5GHz to 5.0GHz (delid + liquid metal) and did not notice much performance increase.

Basically, 4.5GHz is fast enough for gaming.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Depends on the game, the gpu, etc...

But you could even probably get worse performance of a missed overclock.

When you pass from 4.5 to 4.7 if you make it by increasing the values of the voltages a lot and generating a lot of heat you are probably crippling the boost frecuencies, and setting the cpu in tempertature throtling.

To have more data, what are your temps while gamming?, what gpu you use?

But in my oppinion the fans of the cpu cooler working at max rpms is a very bad sign.

bingo-993

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

i tried many different games some are very CPU intensive, there was no throttling max peek temps i saw on 85 maybe and runing on high 70's not acceptable while there is no performance gain really. my GPU is 1070 on a 1440p. now im at 4.5 with pretty cool temps that makes me feel i can go a little more higher maybe 4.6 and 4.5 on the cache with acceptable temps, i dont know.
BTW i do everything manually even the fan profiles.

At 1440p you are more GPU limited and increasing CPU speeds will gain little to nothing.

Even at 1080p I went from 4.5GHz to 5.0GHz (delid + liquid metal) and did not notice much performance increase.

Basically, 4.5GHz is fast enough for gaming.

Solution