7700k stock reaching 90+ degrees under load

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lojalfan

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Hai there
I've recently bought a new gaming rig, so as usual I wanted to check if there are any thermal problems. I opened FurMark to stress the GPU and Prime95 max heat preset to stress the CPU. After 10 minutes GPU hit 70*C and CPU hit over 90*C. I'm using Hyper 212X single fan and thermal paste that was provided with the cooler in box. I have Arctic mx4 laying somewhere in my house. Do you think it will reduce the temps to atleast 80*C?

Lojalfan

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016

No I don't have air conditioning and I'm using phanteks p400s tempered glass case.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Air conditioning. What is your case? I think you room is vert hot

D

Deleted member 1560910

I dont care for that case as for cooling i think you room and case are causing the issue. I would try taking off the panels and opening a window maybe add another fan.

That would be thinner than I've ever put, but it could be enough I suppose. From what I understand, thermal paste is only meant to fill in the gaps between the CPU's IHS and the cooling heatsink to allow for an even surface to transfer the heat.

Lojalfan

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
After reapplying the paste temps did go down but it's not that big of a difference. It still got to mid 90s using aida64. Then I reminded myself that the case fans were running on the minimal rpm, so I cranked that up and temps stabilized in the high 80s. I think that's pretty acceptable since it won't get that hot in any game and I use this PC mainly for gaming. I'm going to plug tha case fans to motherboard so it can ramp up accordingly to the cpu temp. What do you guys think?