iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
Hello as I stated in the title I bought E5462 really cheap and wanted to install it on my motherboard. The motherboard that I have is GA-EP43-UD3L. Now as far as I can tell everything should be working fine, but when I put the CPU in the socket, the PC is not booting to bios. It's turning on and off. I tried microcode update but it didn't help.
I checked beforehand compatibility and I don't know that's the problem. E5462 requires 1600 FSB that the motherboard has. The CPU mod was done by a merchant as far as I can tell it's done fine. It boots with E7500 and has no problem.
If you could help, I'd really appreciate it.
Here are the rest of the specs:

GA-EP43-UD3L
E5462
GTX 630
PSU 500 W
2x2 DDR2 RAM
320 GB HDD

I suggest you return the Xeon and buy a proper supported CPU. Old core 2 quads are so cheap anymore it doesn't make sense to go through the hassle of getting this working.

If you can't mod the bios yourself or find one online, you will have to pay for one to be modded, and that completely negates the cost benefit of the xeon.

A q9400 is like $12

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
I suggest you return the Xeon and buy a proper supported CPU. Old core 2 quads are so cheap anymore it doesn't make sense to go through the hassle of getting this working.

If you can't mod the bios yourself or find one online, you will have to pay for one to be modded, and that completely negates the cost benefit of the xeon.

A q9400 is like $12

Thanks for the suggestions, but I want to make this CPU work. I've done a similar mod beforehand and have already modded bios for the motherboard and by all means, it should be working. If anyone knows the problem, I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
P.S. I'm building this PC for fun as an enthusiast.