771 to 775 socket Xeon processor swap. Works but with issues! - Dell Optiplex 780

Apr 16, 2018
First, I've done several of these, and love the ability to increase the performance for cheap. I I Recently did the Xeon 771 to 775 Xeon mod on a Dell Optiplex 780 DT. The processor is a x3363 Xeon, and the Bios has been updated to the latest (A15) downloaded from the Dell website. The system has sufficient memory (4 GB/PC-6400). The system boots and operates but seems to me to be a good bit slower than I normally see, so I'm looking for some insight into what may be causing my problems. If there are any.

Before I did this mod, I checked to insure that the Opti 780 motherboard (Q45 chipset) supports the Xeon modification, and apparently it does. But, it only supports the 3xxx (mine's a X3363) series. However, it states that the 5xxx series Xeon processors are not compatible with this motherboard. My problem/question is this: After installing the x3363 (Quad-Core/12m cache) Xeon, I booted the system (note: it booted fine) and entered the Bios to set all the parameters. I then rebooted to install the OS (Win 7 - 64bit). At the beginning of the boot process I get a warning message from the system that says "System doesn't support the installed processor", and get the option to press F1 key to continue, F2 to enter the Bios setup, or Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics. I then press the F1 key to continue with the system boot, and the system continues a normal start up. I've been able to install the OS, and completely update it. I've installed all the system drivers without any problems, and the system appears to operate fine, just operates a bit slower than other systems I've done. So apparently, the system actually does support a 771 to 775 modified Xeon although the system states that it doesn't. My concerns are these: Is there a way to bypass the initial warnings at start up without having to select the F1 key every time? Also, any ideas of why the system is operating a good bit slower than I expected? By that I mean, if were to re-install the original C2D processor I feel the system would actually be just as fast or possibly even faster than with the mod. Any ideas, or other things to check?

Apr 16, 2018
I appreciate your response, so thank you.

As all of my previous 771 to 775 Xeon swaps were pretty straight forward, and they all worked great. I've never had a need to deal with injecting any micro codes, so have no experience in do that. Where can I go to, to get instruction on doing that?

As for the G785M motherboard, that is the model motherboard for the USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor) model. The model I have is the next larger size up, the DT (Desk Top). The largest is the Mini Tower model. I feel sure you knew that, but I just wanted to clarify model I have. It is my understanding that all of these motherboards use the Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ ICH10DO chipsets, so the size of the board shouldn't matter, provided they use the same BIOS. Dell's latest BIOS for the Optiplex 780 is the A15 which is what I have installed. Like I said, the processor works (although a bit slower than expected) when installed, it's just that the system sees it as a "Non-Supported" processor, and the BIOS only shows it as a "Multi-Core", but the number of cores (4). It's also recognized in the BIOS as a Xeon X3363 processor, and the system boots with it, so I'm a bit stumped as to why I'm getting the "Non-supported Processor" warning at start up.

It's possible the MicroCode could correct my issue, but I've never done that, and would feel concerned attempting it. Although I probably should learn how. Same goes for modding a BIOS. Never did that either, and never needed to.

I may be better off installing a normally supported processor. Something like the Q9650 C2Q in the 780 rather than a Xeon. I mean the modded Xeon works in the Opti 780, but not like I feel it should, and there are still problem issues. I've done this mod on a couple of Dell Vostro 530's using a E5450 in one and a E5420 in another, and those machines were very quick, and powerful.

Thanks again for your response. I'd like to hear from you on where I might go to learn about micro codes.

At https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-xeon-microcode/ you can find instructions on how to inject the microcode; you obviously risk bricking the motherboard if you are not careful. If the CPU doesn't run at its rated frequency in Windows, then you have no choice but to inject the microcode or install a fully supported CPU.

Apr 16, 2018
I will try fixing the microcode, but this morning I removed the Xeon and installed a regular Quad-Core (Q6600) to see if it worked normally. It did! I'll put the Xeon back in tomorrow, and check to insure the stepping, and model info are correct in the Bios. Also, the X3363 I was using is an Intel SLBC3 processor. I'll let you know more tomorrow. Thanks!