7870 Overclock worth it?

jase888

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
I was looking to get a new GPU (Nvidia GTX970 4GB) for PUBG but funds are permitting me to stick with my AMD 7870 2GB for now in my new build for a few months anyway.

My question is can it be overclocked on a regular motherboard? Also is it worth it, I've overclocked CPUs before but never GPUs.

System:
Intel i5 8400
16GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
Corsair CX 550W
NZXT 440 case (White)

Solution
Yes, a GPU's ability to be overclocked is at a GPU BIOS level.... nothing to do with the motherboard it's connected to.

The 7870 can be overclocked. YMMV though, as it'll depend on the specific variant & if/how much it's already OC'd from the factory.

Is it worth it? Potentially. Provided you can get a decent OC stable (and remain sufficiently cool), you should be looking at *some* gains in performance (YMMV, too many variables). In some instances, your max/ave FPS won't change much, but your 1% or .1%'s can improve.... improving the performance 'feel' overall.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, a GPU's ability to be overclocked is at a GPU BIOS level.... nothing to do with the motherboard it's connected to.

The 7870 can be overclocked. YMMV though, as it'll depend on the specific variant & if/how much it's already OC'd from the factory.

Is it worth it? Potentially. Provided you can get a decent OC stable (and remain sufficiently cool), you should be looking at *some* gains in performance (YMMV, too many variables). In some instances, your max/ave FPS won't change much, but your 1% or .1%'s can improve.... improving the performance 'feel' overall.

Solution
I do not suggest modding the vBIOS in any 6xxx or newer AMD card. But AMD supplies a handy software overclocking tab (Overdrive) right in the Catalyst driver control panel, so why not use that? You must be running Windows anyway, because PUBG doesn't run in Linux or OS X.