7890XE 4.1 GHz Watercool Stable Except for MATLAB 2018A

Pete Harrington

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
I have an i9 7980XE on an MSI X299 SLI plus motherboard. I am using Corsair Hydro 115i Pro for water cooling after having to replace 2 Hydro 100i V2's for pump failure, but that could be a whole new post. I have 128 GB of Corsair memory on the board as well. Hyperthreading is on. The graphics card is an nVidia geForce GTX 1060 with 3 GB and with the 3/23/18 update.

The system is Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise Edition.

I am OCing from the bios and simply have picked XMP and set the CPU ratio to 41 leaving all the other settings on auto. The system runs stable with good temps averaging about 80 C under a full 36 logical processor load.

I can run Matlab 2018b without any problems and achieve good compute times. However, under 2018a, running a simple command like Bench causes a graphics failure. The screen goes black followed by 3 beeps and the system hangs until I shut it down. The LED on the motherboard is E0 that indicates the DXE IPL S3 failure, which I think is a failure to restart.

I suspect that the newer version of MATLAB is doing something fancy at the hardware level to speed up the graphics interface that is causing the graphics failure. Any clues to changing the settings to maintain the high clock rate for computation, but slowing down the graphics interface so at to prevent windows system crashes. I do not care how fast the graphics are, I just need to crunch numbers quickly.

Cheers,

Pete

Solution
My guess is that this comes down to your overclock.

Easy way to see if that is the case, reset your overclock to all AUTO or default settings and test.