Question 7900 XTX Underperforming

Apr 29, 2024
My Watercooled 7900XTX is having some serious issues when compared to others with the exact same setup listed below.

MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk Wifi
5800x3d
7900xtx
WD SN850x 1 tb
64 gb corsair lpx 3600mhz
1000 watt corsair 80 gold

I have tried at least 3 different bios
about 15 different adrenalin driver versions
I've tried drivers only
OverClocking
under volting
Default settings

tried with afterburner, tried in another motherboard Aorus X570

When comparing my stats to others (Uningine Superposition, TimeSpy, Passmark), my scores are more in line with a 3070ti than they are with 7900xtx

I've tried with OC settings of +15% power, 3000mhz gpu, and 2700mhz vram and got slightly better. I'm talking Time spy gpu score of 21,000, Passmark of 17,244, Uningine of (1080=15,072 and 4k= 18,811)

I just dont understand, this [vulgarity redacted] has been giving me issues since I bought it. Constantly having to ddu and reinstall drivers because it crashes my system. When it does work it performs like a $300 gpu and not the $1k I paid for it. AMD refuses to help because I bought it from BestBuy (even though it is a reference card), BestBuy refuses to help since it has been longer than 1 year. Every time this [vulgarity redacted] gives me issues I want to rip it out of my system and beat it to death with a sledge hammer.

Thoughts other than I have a crap 7900xtx???

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts other than I have a crap 7900xtx?
it's not rare for someone to receive a damaged or malfunctioning piece of hardware.

if purchased new;
and you would like to stay with the RX 7900 XTX, RMA to the manufacturer.
and you would like to try something different, return to the retailer for a full refund.

one other thing i would try;
block all startup applications and make sure nothing unnecessary is running,
run Cinebench and see what results it offers.
1000 watt corsair
what exact model and how long has it been in use?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Use DDU in safe mode to remove all GPU drivers(intel, Nvidia and AMD) then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver source from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you clear the CMOS after verifying the BIOS was flashed successfully? As for clearing the CMOS, might want to elaborate on that.

Apr 29, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Use DDU in safe mode to remove all GPU drivers(intel, Nvidia and AMD) then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver source from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you clear the CMOS after verifying the BIOS was flashed successfully? As for clearing the CMOS, might want to elaborate on that.
Psu maybe 6 months. I had an 850 before that and that maybe needed more power. Didn't work.

Off top of my head I know the BIOS is newest 2024 version but can't recall exact date.

Yes, ddu in safemode every single time. I have also done complete ssd wipes with a fresh install at least 10 times. A WD SN850X 1 TB and a Samsung Pro 980 2tb

BIOS 100% successful, have cleared cmos many many many times to no success

Apr 29, 2024
it's not rare for someone to receive a damaged or malfunctioning piece of hardware.

if purchased new;
and you would like to try something different, return to the retailer for a full refund.

I tried BESTBUY, was past 1 year and I did not buy an extended warranty so they told me to go through AMD because it was a reference card. I contacted AMD and they said they can ONLY rma gpu bought on their website from them directly.

I have had it for maybe 1.5-2 years. P/n is 9130007059 its a reference card.

Apr 29, 2024
i have never heard of that before with any manufacturers.

start a support ticket with them and describe the exact issue(s) you're facing.
if it is still under it's manufacturer warranty then they should still lead to the RMA process.

i have never heard of that before with any manufacturers.

start a support ticket with them and describe the exact issue(s) you're facing.
if it is still under it's manufacturer warranty then they should still lead to the RMA process.
Here is the last email from them

"
Dear Donald,

Your service request: 00477463 has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.
Please be informed that as per AMD warranty term and condition as, I informed you that in my previous email also we can only provide an RMA for products purchased from AMD Online Store and Made by AMD .
Please use our warranty service form to request warranty service for retail-packaged products made by AMD and sold on AMD.com only.
For more details please refer the following linkWarranty Services | AMD".

It clearly states that both RMA and warranty are for products purchased on amd.com only.

If this is wrong and you know a work around I would love to hear your input.

Apr 29, 2024

if purchased new;

RM1000e says it has 450 watts for pcie 5

What is your "hot spot" temperature?

What is the exact model?

You say it's a reference card and watercooled? Did you install the cooler?

Edit: I checked out the TPU link. So you installed the waterblock? Install HWINFO64 portable. Run sensors only and then play a game for a few minutes. Check out the GPU hotspot temp.

Last edited:
It clearly states that both RMA and warranty are for products purchased on amd.com only
i'd say that's a good reason for everyone to never purchase AMD products again.
it was a reference card
if they still sell through 3rd parties but do not back their own product warranty they are a pretty shady corporation.

that'd be similar to my power supply suddenly going out and Super Flower stating Best Buy has to replace it 6 years later, that they want nothing to do with their own 10 year warranty.

Reactions: DonnieDangerous
Apr 29, 2024
Here is the results from running R23

I took some metrics for you all to look over.

Some taken while running Uningine With the 7900xtx OC in adrenalin (see settings pic) the highest gpu clock speed i saw was 2611. Highest hotspot was 66c. total board power average was 345-355 with a high spike of 525. The gpu memory clock speed seemed to hold steady at 2487.

Some specs are from running cpu-z benchmark

Here is also a link to the cpu-z benchmarks results https://valid.x86.fr/zhfc2k

TPU link with screen shots:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/7900-xtx-seriously-lacking.321988/page-2#post-5244564

Found this link on amd. Curiously their link about warranty for cards purchased with other retailers is broken.

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/warranty/Consumer-Graphics.html

I like amd cards better personally. But this makes me think since I’ve got microcenter just down the road to simply purchase any cards from anyone through them and buy their 2 year in store plan in case of issues.