7950 vs 660ti (MSI)

id get the gtx 660ti considering with the new nvidia drivers there faster than the 7950 and its cheaper also, also has adaptive vsync thats useful to eliminate screen tearing, amd has vsync but its not as good as on nvidia.

cheaper and faster , nvidia here for the win.

Definitely the GTX660 Ti. This is well worth a look:

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 7950 inconsistency though - that's been observed in both nVidia and AMD hardware since TR started measuring this in 2011.

So 7950 won't look any less smooth than we're used to (since performance fluctuations have been standard until recently). The GTX660 Ti infact was just as inconsistent in the past, which makes me think what we're seeing there is a driver-based solution, because now it's flawlessly consistent.

I think what it boils down to is that at 30fps, a 7950 will look like 30fps. But with a GTX660 Ti, it will look smoother (since we're used to 30fps with a lot of fluctuation, not pure consistent 30fps).

Most people respond to the performance consistency thing by focusing on the inconsistency of the Radeon (which is understandable when that's exactly what the author does). Author should know better though - there's nothing unusual about fluctuations. What's really significant is the lack of fluctuation with the GTX660 Ti, which is a major improvement.

Some people will bring up the overvoltage drama with the MSI PE cards, but it was blown way out of proportion. You could buy a non-PE model if you're really worried about it, but I'd take the PE. Not like it doesn't come with a warranty :)

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
What about the higher memory and better memory interface on the 7950 would that make much difference?

thanks, i like it so much i actually sold my 7870 and bought a 660ti lol,

yeah 3gb will be useful down the road but like the 660ti and 7950 it barely uses all the power of 2gbs, so for now 2gbs is fine, 3gb doesnt necesseraly yeld more performance.

thanks sam :D

also regarding higher bandwitch etc its got higher specs in some area but like anything, faster doesnt mean always better as the 7950 has better bandwitch but still gets beaten by a 192bit bus gtx 660ti.

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
660ti PE - 2
7950 - 0

I think the free games on the 7950 tempted me so much hahaha! but really performance is a bigger seller

It certainly doesn't appear to be helping it in gaming performance. I think we're a long way from games requiring 3GB (and at that point, these GPUs will be obsolete anyway). The only possible exception (because some AMD fanboy will always bring it up) is Skyrim with 50 mods installed at once. Even there though I don't think the extra RAM is gonna be a deal-breaker. GTX660 Ti won't disappoint you.

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Think i'll probably sell when the next gen AMD's come out too so 660ti would probs last me until then anyway

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Exactly Performance all the way plus with the money i save i can get a few games! steam have some awesome deals on atm

haha I like you ice. Its like if someone gave you a cookie for buying a product that wasn't as good are you going to get it because of the cookie. I'm glad you are able to look at it objectively.

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Cookie? what?

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Best deals and heard awesome reviews about the twin frozr fans! but if you can persuade me on another brand i'll certainly be open about it!

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Erm unrelated can any of you guys tell me why my signature isnt working its just the cpu z bb code and i check apply signature