7950 vs 660ti (MSI)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

redeemer

Distinguished
lol at microstutter on AMD!! Anyway the 7950 @ 1100mhz clock will beat out a GTX 680, so thats that. Microstutter can happen on any card guys, I have experience it on my 680's though not frequently.

redeemer

Distinguished

So you have never experience microstutter on a Nvidia based GPU? It always makes me giggle when I hear "Nvidia=Smoother Gameplay...but yeah I understand where you're coming from

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
On most of the comparison videos online and especially the side by side ones the nvidia card always seems more 'stable'

Oh FFS! Overclocking is all about hitting the silicon lottery a 670 is a decent overclocker to. Most of the newer cards have excellent cooling run cold and run on very little power which meas that leaves a good amount of room to push the heat and push the power. Whether he ends up with a 660Ti, 670 or 7950, 7970 he will end up with a solution that will be vastly superior to what he currently has. Every one of those cards is capable of pushing out some amazing graphics. And stuttering can come from a lot of things I don't think its just a team a or b thing. Individual results will vary between card to card, CPU to CPU, SSD to SSD everything.

redeemer

Distinguished

With a 192 bit bus and 2GB vram the 660ti is hardly the best bang for the buck, the 670 on the other hand is spectacular.

i meant price wise, u only get max 10% increase for 100$ more also 3gb aint gonna do nothing since its not being fully utilized, also the 192 bus is limited somewhat but as benchmarks prove the bit of the bus isnt always the end determining factor in overall performance,

like i said the bus and certain specs of the gtx 670 make it better, but in real world performance thats less than 10%, thats still 100$+ for 10% or less performance, yes if i could of afforded it i would of got maybe a gtx 670 but for the 240$ im quite happy with the gtx 660ti versus 350$ for a gtx 670,

+1 to that. iceclock is right that the performance difference isn't colossal, though it is a bit more than 10% on average (generally 15-20% gain, 10% in some games, over 20% in others). They're both good purchases, but if you can afford GTX670, that's definitely the way to go.

When I said you won't regret the GTX660 Ti, I was almost gonna add "unless you decide you could have afforded the GTX670" but didn't want to confuse matters. If you can buy it, you should. GTX680 is the real waste of money - ~6% gain on average over the GTX680 for a lot more money.

As for "LOL at microstutter", AMD aren't laughing about it. They've acknowledged it's a problem (infact they acknowledged that back in 2011 when Techradar approached them about it) but I've yet to see any evidence it's been fixed and as smooth as what the GTX660 Ti has repeatedly demonstrated.

*grabs popcorn* haha! I feel like this is becoming more common its the we are talking about nvidia #%@$@#%$@#%# hate on nvidia :p Honestly, surely there are programs that you can set vsync to go beyond 60 frames deeming it a little more useful say if you were to set it to 100 or something I'm sure that wouldn't cause tearing unless you are running two 680's or two 7970s on a single screen (no idea what you were thinking :p) then probably very little to stop it.

The 660Ti has become a more attractive option due to pricing and driver updates the 6(6)0 series cards have always been that card that is a surprise. But yea +1 to sam get the best you can with what you have to spend.

660 especially! Biggest gain by miles from one generation to the next from a x60 card. Not sure what you mean about those framerates, but you can always play modern yet undemanding games (Dishonoured and Black Ops 2 are a couple of recent examples) that could achieve very high framerates on pretty average hardware. Even my 4870 can play those!

Put your popcorn away though LOL. I have tired of the fanboy arguments now. I'm only still on Tom's because things are so slow at work so I have time to kill. Talking about CPUs is kinda boring and the Linux section is pretty dead...

Yeah I mean GTX660 gain was huge over GTX560, while GTX560 was only a little faster than GTX460 and GTX460 was only a little faster than GTX260 etc. I think we're talking about the same thing? You're in Los Angeles by the way?

I live in North Orange County. Most definitely the cards this generation were a decent leap over the 500 series you saw something like a 660Ti beat out a 680 I'm sure. Yea we were just wasn't sure if you had caught my ( _ )

i dont deny theres 10% i dont see 20% anywhere in performance gap between the gtx 660ti and 670, maybe in the future when games will fully utilize the bigger bus and extra 1gig of vram, but until than the gap isnt that great, it also comes down to a money thing, i can get a gtx 660ti for 230$+tax here and the 670 starts at 356$, thats 120$+tax+shipping difference, i really cant justify spending that much since im on a budget.

but yeah u get more bang for bucks with the gtx 660ti and if u got extra buy a gtx 670 or a 7970 on sale, seen a few at 360$ and those beat both the 670 and 680 series.

meh i shot that as a figure, maybe slightly more, but doubt it hits more than 15,

im just saying price to performance ratio the gtx 660ti is a better deal, but yeah overclocked the gtx 660ti can equalize a 670 if u get lucky.

DARGIE

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
At the prices I'm getting the 7950 and 660ti they are The exact same
Price so forget price!
7950 option has changed to xfx black edition

Same arguments... GTX660 Ti for hugely more consistent/stable framerate delivery (not masses of fluctuations) and adaptive v-sync so way better framerates below 60 when v-sync is enabled (potentially almost double if GPU is running just under 60).