[SOLVED] 8.1GB reserved for hardware

Jan 14, 2021
Hey, half of my ram is reserved for hardware i literally tried everything..
SPECS:
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte x470 Aourus Ultra Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x eight core
2x 8GB
I already tried to..
Update bios
tried different cpu gpu and ram sticks
ram is not capped
thx for reading, every tip would be appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
Can you try to load a Linux Live distro (boot a ISO image using a usb stick, won't touch your system) and see how much ram it report as available.
Hopefully that can tell if this is a windows issue or actually a hw issue.

There are several methods for this, the one that should work on every distro is "top" or "htop" (open terminal and type those).
Mention in more detail here: https://phoenixnap.com/kb/linux-commands-check-memory-usage

Also - use Memtest86+ when both ram sticks inserted. If that goes without errors, it indicate hw is in good condition.
Jan 14, 2021
exact model of the ram?
are they from 1 kit?
turn on the xmp profile in bios?
latest bios?
yes its the latest bios. the ram sticks are from one kit DDR4 2100mhz. btw it worked for like 1 year then i cleaned my cpu fan and half of my ram was dead. cpu pins are not damaged in any way.

Have you followed instruction on this web forum page ?

Also - a response of user "Creature40" on that same page may help:
September 27th, 2019

I had the same problem and found a solution for me.
My motherboard is AsRock 970 pro3 R2.0 and i have 16Gb of newly installed memory of Kingston 1133 (4*4Gb sticks). Windows 10 x64 and windows 8.1 x64 shows me 16Gb of memory but only 12Gb usable so the 4 GB is hardware reserved memory.
Non of solutions i have found on the web was good for me.
So I decided to check the manufacturers’s web site(of motherboard) and in compatibility list of DRAM modules didn’t found my memory sticks. The memory installed in my system is DDR3-1333 (4*4units)
But there was only 2Gb and 8Gb of 1133Mhz sticks compatible memory. So the solution is to go to BIOS settings and change memory speed to what is in compatibility list. The closest one was DDR3-1066Mhz of 4Gb stick.
I changed 1133 to 1066 and get all my memory usabe. So now i have only 19Mb of hardware reserved memory.
Hope someone can get my post usable.

Jan 14, 2021
Have you followed instruction on this web forum page ?

Also - a response of user "Creature40" on that same page may help:
yes i already tried those instructions. the ram sticks are compatible and i already tried every single mhz setting.. the ram sticks worked for over a year now and suddenly stopped working after i cleaned my cpu fan.

Can you try to load a Linux Live distro (boot a ISO image using a usb stick, won't touch your system) and see how much ram it report as available.
Hopefully that can tell if this is a windows issue or actually a hw issue.

There are several methods for this, the one that should work on every distro is "top" or "htop" (open terminal and type those).
Mention in more detail here: https://phoenixnap.com/kb/linux-commands-check-memory-usage

Also - use Memtest86+ when both ram sticks inserted. If that goes without errors, it indicate hw is in good condition.

Solution