[SOLVED] 8 bit vs 10 bit colour profile and HDR

Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015
Hey a question towards people with some knowledge about the AMD Radeon software as well as monitor colour depth and HDR.

SO, first off, why is there an option to select a 8 bit or 10bit colour profile BOTH in the graphics settings, as well as the monitor settings of the AMD Radeon Software?

Secondly, is there a visual difference between the two that not professional users can actually see?

Third, for some reason on the 8bit colour profile, my monitor automatically switches to hdr in games that have it turned on and everything looks good. In the 10bit colour profile my monitor no longer automatically swicthes to hdr and games like Battlefield One and AC Origins look incredibly over-luminated and over-saturated.

Is HDR better in games or does the 10bit colour profile make the bigger visual difference?

Solution
I think most panels only accept 10bit HDR; many games are smart enough to go into that mode automatically if HDR is enabled, I know that's how NVIDIA handles it anyways.

Depending on your resolution/refresh rate combination it's possible you may be running into bandwidth limitations, especially if using HDMI @ 4k.

A simple test would be to see if Windows lets you enable HDR on the desktop, which should always result in the game allowing HDR if possible. [Note some games, like CoD Warzone REQUIRE HDR to be enabled on the Windows desktop].
I think most panels only accept 10bit HDR; many games are smart enough to go into that mode automatically if HDR is enabled, I know that's how NVIDIA handles it anyways.

Depending on your resolution/refresh rate combination it's possible you may be running into bandwidth limitations, especially if using HDMI @ 4k.

A simple test would be to see if Windows lets you enable HDR on the desktop, which should always result in the game allowing HDR if possible. [Note some games, like CoD Warzone REQUIRE HDR to be enabled on the Windows desktop].

Solution

Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015
I have an ultra wide at 2560x1080 with HDR 10 capability (at least that's how LG describes it). What simply bothers me most is that it's not clear what either of both colour profile settings in the Radeon software actually do. Moreover when switching the colour profile in the graphics settings the system needs to restart, whereas when is change it in the display options, my display simply flashes black for a split second.
In AC Origins I'm not using HDR anymore since I'm really doubting whether the picture I'm getting is intended to look as such.
Really actually doubting overall if you really receive a better image with HDR in games. Or if that only applies to monitors with advanced hdr capabilities such HDR400 and higher.