Question 8 fans and only 4 headers

Jun 23, 2019
I have an issue that’s mostly related to lack of experience. I’m a total noob. I have the Dark Rock Pro 4 with 2 Silent Wing 3 fans and 6 NZXT AER rgb case fans. I’m using the ASRock X470 Master Sli mobo. The dark rock comes with a fan splitter that I can plug into the cpu fan header port. That’s pretty straight forward. My concern is this. How to I get power to my AER fans in a way that I can control their speed through something like Speedfan and also connect them to my Hue 2+. As much as I don’t know, I do know this. The hue 2+ doesn’t power the fans, just gives them led, so does this mean I must use 3 additional fan splitters and plug the remaining 6 fans into the headers? I want to avoid using one of those Molex things on my psu becuase that will just ramp them up to 100% power and if possible I’d like to be able to control their speeds.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
And the usual rule for thumb is no more than two fans per header?

Check the current limit of the headers (it is usually 1A) and then check the current requirements of the fans.
Most fans require .25A or so, but not all do, some more, some less.
If yours require .25A and your headers are rated to 1A then you could put 3 fans on a header which leaves some room for spin up current spikes.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Check the current limit of the headers (it is usually 1A) and then check the current requirements of the fans.
Most fans require .25A or so, but not all do, some more some less.
If yours require .25A and your headers are rated to 1A then you could put 3 fans on a header which leaves some room for spin up current spikes..
Ok. I found those specs from newegg (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157833) and I’m struggling to make sense of what some of the terminology means. It has listed 2 different cpu fan headers. Does that mean I can’t use the second one as a regular fan header? Also, I’ve searched everywhere and absolutely cannot find the amp draw on these fans. All I know is they operate at 12v