8 Year Old Computer - Need to upgrade!

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
Hey everyone, last September I made this topic:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2794975/year-computer-upgrade.html

In that thread I got a great response:

NOW I am finally ready to make the purchase, but it's been half a year and I was hoping someone could look over raisonjohn's post and tell me what should be updated, OR, make a post with their own suggestions. All my statements about what I want and already have are the same, except I do think I will be getting a case (would like USB 3.0 and fans that work Dx). I would still like to keep the price at $700-800, but what I really want is the longest lasting price vs performance PC.

I would really appreciate the help!

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
My monitor is listed under the parts that I have, it's a Hanns-G 1280 x 1024 5ms. I am planning on using this and do not intend to buy a new one at this time.

I will be mainly using this as a gaming PC, and I would like to be able to run things as high as possible within the money range I posted. That said, I will not be overclocking.

At that resolution for gaming, you won't need a lot of graphics power. A simple i5 build will last you many years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $680.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 20:53 EDT-0400

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't need storage and I was thinking it would be better to hold off on the GPU and upgrade everything else better (like raisonjohn's suggestions). The CPU seems like a good idea, but I am curious about the MOBO. It's like half the price of Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard suggested by raisonjohn. I've always had a hard time understanding price differences in MOBOs. I know some have more features but eh??

The motherboard are priced primarily according to what features they offer. The Z170 board he recommended is designed for enthusiasts and overclocking. It has a lot of features you may or may not need, such as RAID, SLI support, M.2 slots, overclocking features and more. If you're not going to use any of those features, save your money and put it towards something else in your system you do need. Same thing with the unlocked processor he recommended. If you're not going to over clock, the i5 6500 is a better value. The difference in both CPU's at stock speeds is slight. Only when overclocked will the 6600k have a major advantage.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
I just noticed the MOBO you linked is MicroATX, doesn't that mean it will be too small for an ATX mid-size case? (i'd rather have a midsize tower than smaller or larger)

Also.. is there any other disadvantages to going smaller with your MOBO like a MicroATX? I really don't mind a regular size. and I'm worried about where things would sit in the case, etc.

+Hyozans I know your question was posed to BadActor, and I'm sure he'll answer you when his schedule allows. But I just wanted to contribute to the conversation. The larger case (mid-ATX) can accommodate a smaller motherboard. Most of the downsides he's already mentioned, such as you'll only be able to install one graphics card. But if you wanted SLI support, you'd probably upgrade to a Z170 chipset anyway. The only minor issue that you might come across in the future is the two RAM slots on this board. If you bought 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) now, and wanted to upgrade in the future, you'd have to remove the two RAM chips and add two 16 GB DIMMs. But 16 GB is more than plenty in the year 2016, and by the time you needed more than that, you'd probably be ready to move on and upgrade from this platform anyway.

For the record, I love the build that BadActor configured for you. If you wanted to scale-up and upgrade, you could, but it depends how far you'd want to extend your budget. For example, for $70, you could upgrade the GTX 960 to the AMD RX 480 with 8 GB of RAM. The power supply he selected is powerful enough to handle that. You could upgrade the RAM to 16 GB, you could add $50 and get a better case. I'm a huge fan of the Fractal Design Define R5; especially the non window blackout edition which is an all black color scheme. You could upgrade the storage further. You have tons of options here.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
I appreciate any help, thanks guys! I really appreciate the info - it's been so long since I've built my last computer (and that was my first xD). I do think I will go with 16 GB of RAM.

I think I'm almost ready to start making purchases, but I have one more question. Does the CPU BadActor listed come with a heatsink/fan? I couldn't find it saying anything about one on the newegg page. If it does, since I will be gaming (with newer games as good as I can make them look ;p), should I invest in something better (like liquid cooling system) - or is there little point?

Your i5-6500 include does indeed come with a stock Intel cooler, but the 6600k does not. The stock cooler with the 6500 is sufficient since you won't be overclocking. With that said, I personally would purchase a 3rd party CPU cooler anyway. An AIO (all-in-one) water cooler is complete overkill for a non-overclock i5 CPU, unless you want a cleaner looking build or bragging rights. For that extra $100 cost, you'd be better served by upgrading another component of your build, such as the CPU and/or the graphics card. For example an extra $40-$45 would yield you a i5-6600K. With that CPU, you'd definitely need to get a Cryorig H7 or Hyper 212 EVO. But if you want a Corsair H110i GTX just because you want it, then get it.

FYI: When it comes to gaming machines, I personally would invest anywhere from 25% to 40% of my budget into the GPU alone. But that might just be me.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks for your help, rcald2000. I think I might try the heatsink included and if I don't like how hot it's getting I'll upgrade. I think I'm going to try and stick it out with my GTX 460 for now, so I can spend more money on a better video card down the road. I haven't actually gotten any NEW new games yet for my PC (except I'll be getting Overwatch but I think it can handle that well enough).