Question 8400 GS not working as Muxless setup...

Mahzin

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Hi. I have one MSI 8400 GS that, not only the fan is being locked (it spins and stops, it's also magnetical), but my motherboard owns a 'Muxless' setup style. Even if I put my GPU to the mainboard, it's not recognized by the system and it is getting heat, I believe that works properly. What should I do?

Mahzin

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Hey, thank you for your message. I keep, because things are way expensive nowadays and as an online audio worker this setup fits my needs entirely. I was thinking to use 8400 GS as an alternative to boost performance since will charge less from CPU, even the iGPU being a source to display image. Sadly the fan is locked, but it's a nice graphics card unit. I might for the future get a fanless unit to never have this kind of issue, but the mainboard is really good, I just want to understand more about 'Muxless' systems.

I understand, but 17 year old hardware isn't about saving money, it's about refusing to understand that it's way past time to let go. I'm not sure what you do, but there is literally almost no hardware from 17 years ago that can adequately run or even be compatible with the majority of OS's and software that would be required for almost anything these days, especially if it's work related. But, good luck to you man.

Mahzin

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Not all technologies (newer ones) are better in my opinion. But ok, I am running my 8400 GS normally right now. Thank you.

Mahzin

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Well... all solved. 8400GS locked to the PCI-E and the iGFX option selected, working flawlessly.
Now I want an option for the future purchasing a good PSU not so expensive, but at least 80 Plus Gold (450w is enough). I was looking one from Seasonic (650w Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold). Then, if I upgrade my entire setup for the future I guaranteed one great PSU that may be useful for a newer tech-setup. Well... I also will add offboard NIC & might add USB-C/3.0/Thunderbolt PCI card because I would buy for the future audio tool (audio interface) that use Thunderbolt / USB-C... I really believe 450w will be enough.
Now i3-3220 + 16 GB DDR3 + NVMe 500 GB + 8400 GS by MSI.
Any suggestions about a good PSU? Should be 80 Plus Gold, because I want less heat, more power for more stability and since I never had Gold / Platinum / Titanium, I buy once a great thing.