850 SSD Faulty?

NineWorlds

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I just received my 850 EVO and right out of the box I can hear a clicking noise when plugged into any SATA/Power cable.

This is not an electrical issue, as it makes the noise when the power is off and the cord removed from the psu.

When ever the cables are even moved slightly it sounds as if the PCB is popping.

I've also used samsung magician to do a test against my 840/850 and here are the results.

840 Sequential -- Read 544 -- Write 533
840 Random -- Read 96,046 -- Write 89,420

850 Sequential -- 551 -- Write 532
850 Random -- 97,464 -- Write 89,240

I'm wondering how the 850 is lower than some of the 840s when the 840 is the one with my OS installed and the 850 has nothing on it.

Is the popping noise concerning?
Is it something that happens to ssd's or is mine faulty?

EDIT
The Drive Write/read are great on both, but I only purchased the 850 thinking it would be light years ahead of my 840, even after having it for a few years.
This isn't necessarily about the write/read but more about the popping.

Solution
1. SSD's do not make noise. Faulty or not.
Maybe you have a faulty or loose cable?

2. Those numbers are exactly what they should be. That is the SSD bumping up against the actual throughput of the SATA interface.
The 850 is not "light years ahead" of the 840. It is simply the newer version.

USAFRet

Titan
1. SSD's do not make noise. Faulty or not.
Maybe you have a faulty or loose cable?

2. Those numbers are exactly what they should be. That is the SSD bumping up against the actual throughput of the SATA interface.
The 850 is not "light years ahead" of the 840. It is simply the newer version.

Solution

NineWorlds

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Write/Read aside,
This isn't a noise generated on my 840.
I've tested the same cables, and only the 850 has the popping noise when moved with cables attached.

Now i've found that even taking the cables out and pushing against the pcb's Sata/Power ports the popping noise comes from there.
Again the 840 does not make this noise and it is not the cables.
I too originally thought it was my cables.

This also isn't a noise with it cut on, when running it is completely silent just as an ssd should be UNLESS
again a cable is moved that is attached to it and itl pop.
It almost sounds as if plastic/metal is expanding/compressing.