8700K Temps too high.

codenameone

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I just built a new right with the following specifications.
CPU: 8700k (not overclocked)
Motherboard: ASUS Z370 TUF Gaming Plus
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsaid Vengeance 3200MHz
Case: NZXT 340 Elite
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 x (Single Fan)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC

So, My ambient temps are around 24 - 30 degree Celsius(75-87 Fahrenheit) and in the bios my cpu idles around 36 degree celsius.
As soon as I boot up it goes to 45 and while playing normal games like CSGO and The Crew, it goes upto 65 degrees and playing a little heavy games like Rainbow Six Seige the temps reach OVER 90 degrees! (194 degree Fahrenheit). That is too much.
I have read endless forums and this is what all I have tried out :-
Im using the thermal paste that came with the cooler.

-Re-positioning the cooler and reapplying thermal paste(Pea and Line method tried).
-Putting the fan on the other side of the cooler.
-Turning off the Multi Core Advancement or something in the BIOS.
-XAMP is not enabled.
-Setting the airflow right.
-Putting the CPU fan on the Ram side and the back side both.

I have done almost everything I could and nothing seems to work.
I have 3 fans (1 front, 1 on cpu and 1 on the back) which makes the airflow go from front to back.

Is there some resolution to this?
Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I live in a country where Noctua NHD15 is like $210 and H100i v2 is almost the same price.
And we get noctua thermal paste here for over $15.

Any suggestions would be helpful though.
I just bought the cooler and its been 2 weeks. Amazon wont return it. And I dont think I can buy a new one just right now.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Solution
I'd be curious as to what your core temps look like at idle after 3-4 hours. Are they still 36C?

I ask because my idle temps are usually about 10C over room ambient. So when it's 20C in my house, I'm seeing idles of 29-32C. Your seeing temps of 6C over ambient, which makes me think your system hasn't warmed up yet and that idle temp is still rising.

The two things that come to mind is that the cooler needs to be properly installed and it needs plenty of fresh air to work. Assuming it is properly installed, I wonder if your GPU and CPU combined need more fresh air than they are getting. Your case temps may be rising dramatically as things start to cook. Can you get more fresh air into the case? maybe running without the cover to test?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I'd be curious as to what your core temps look like at idle after 3-4 hours. Are they still 36C?

I ask because my idle temps are usually about 10C over room ambient. So when it's 20C in my house, I'm seeing idles of 29-32C. Your seeing temps of 6C over ambient, which makes me think your system hasn't warmed up yet and that idle temp is still rising.

The two things that come to mind is that the cooler needs to be properly installed and it needs plenty of fresh air to work. Assuming it is properly installed, I wonder if your GPU and CPU combined need more fresh air than they are getting. Your case temps may be rising dramatically as things start to cook. Can you get more fresh air into the case? maybe running without the cover to test?

Solution

codenameone

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

After 3-4 hours it stays almost be same. Between 45 to 50C.

Tomorrow I'll try to put my roommate's case fans and play a game without the glass. Will let you know then.

If it helps, the GPU is also in high 70s, but I guess that's normal for a 1080.

codenameone

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
[UPDATE]

Just an update. I put opened the case and temps dropped like 5 degrees or so. Now max it does is 75C. I guess this is good enough. I probably should get more fans.